Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin

In late 2022, @jnnks asked for help in finding a thesis topic: Looking for interesting topics to write my thesis on, maybe distributed training with Elixir Axon?. The thread has gotten quite a few responses, including several from @josevalim. Clearly, @jnnks has been getting a lot of high-quality help!

However, most of the responses have been either academically oriented or related to infrastructure issues. I’d like to venture in a different direction, considering practical ways that Nx, Axon, and such might be able to assist with accessibility issues. Maybe someone will decide to start a project (:-).

Recorded Content

I really like the fact that I can “attend” assorted presentations on YouTube and other venues, listen to recorded podcasts, etc. Although I’m missing the “Hallway Track”, there are compensations:

  • I can adjust the speed, skip around, etc.
  • I can (re-)watch historic presentations.
  • I can read other viewers’ reactions.
  • I get social distancing by default.

In short, the ready availability of recorded presentations is a big win for me (and many others). Unfortunately, many of the recordings present substantial accessibility issues for people who are blind, deaf, or otherwise impaired.

I suspect that many of these problems could be mitigated substantially by current AI techniques, particularly since the processing wouldn’t have to be done “on the fly”. However, this is all way above my pay grade, so I’m just speculating below…

Audio Quality

All too often, the audio quality of recordings is compromised, making voices hard to understand. I’ve noticed problems with echoes, erratic volume, poor balance or tone control settings, etc.

Sometimes, this has to do with the A/V setup and/or recording equipment; other times, someone has decided to “improve” the audio track by adding music or sound effects. Obviously, none of this works well for the hearing impaired.

Slides, etc.

Although some presenters make their slides available online, most do not. And, even when slides are posted, they may not be in a form that is useful to the blind or visually disabled. For example, some PDF files just contain unindexed sequences of images.

In an ideal world, the slides would be available in a textual format, complete with semantic markup, time stamps, etc. This would allow them to be annotated, indexed, searched, summarized, etc. However, getting to that point from a presentation video would require some Real Work™, e.g.:

  • extracting time-stamped images from the video
  • recognizing and extracting slide from images
  • recognizing formatting, graphics, text, etc.
  • preparing a table of contents, index, etc.
  • generating an integrated “companion” file.

And a pony…

Although closed captions are sometimes available, their quality varies from decent to dismal. It would be great to be able to get high-quality transcripts, preferably integrated into the sort of textual files discussed above.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

AstonJ

AstonJ

I saw this a few days ago and thought of you Rich! Apparently Microsoft’s Edge browser will have built in support for scraping info from videos in a deeper way than just the transcript..

And:

Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin OP

That could be a useful facility for any user who is trying to approach a large set of content. Blind, dyslexic, and visually impaired users, in particular, could use it to help with skimming material, etc. It could also be very useful for material that isn’t in one’s native language.

Sadly, Microsoft’s support for accessibility is a bit erratic, so I worry that any a11y-specific benefits of this facility will be largely coincidental and may not be well supported over the long term.

For example, Microsoft developed Soundscape as a research project. It has since turned into an extremely useful tool for Orientation and Mobility. However, they are now making a subset of it open source and removing the support infrastructure, so its prospects are unclear at best…

https://github.com/microsoft/soundscape

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews