bmitc

bmitc

For Circuits.UART, I am looking for a way to read a specific amount of bytes where the number of bytes to read may vary from call to call. This is a common use case needed for when certain messages return a specific amount of bytes in the response but the number of bytes in the response may differ from message to message.

For example, I expected to be able to do something like this:

iex> {:ok, pid} = Circuits.UART.start_link
iex> Circuits.UART.open(pid, "COM2", speed: 115200, active: false)
iex> Circuits.UART.write(pid, "some message expecting 3 bytes in response\r\n")
iex> {:ok, three_byte_response} = Circuits.UART.read(pid, 3, 3000)
iex> Circuits.UART.write(pid, "some message expecting 5 bytes in response\r\n")
iex> {:ok, five_byte_response} = Circuits.UART.read(pid, 5, 3000)

This isn’t possible right now because the read/2 of course doesn’t have a number of bytes to read parameter. I originally expected there to be something like read/3 which would accept a specific number of bytes to read.

It seems a possible alternative is to create a framer behaviour, but that has two downsides: (1) the data isn’t actually framed, (2) this would require constantly calling configure like Circuits.UART.configure(pid, number_of_bytes: rx_framing_timeout: 500) before every write and read pair. I’m not entirely sure of the consequences of doing (2), but it’s the only possible way I could see doing this with the framing feature (if it would even work).

I think the Circuits.UART module should have a read/3 function like read(pid, bytes_to_read, timeout). This is quite common in the serial communication world:

  1. LabVIEW VISA Read
  2. .NET SerialPort.Read
  3. pySerial

So I’m curious, how have people handled this with Circuits.UART?

I asked this question a while back on the Circuits GitHub repo, but got a non-answer.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

Sebb

Sebb

I do not use circuits, but from the docs it seems, that this is not supported. So you either have to change the other side to a framed protocol or change circuits.uart or write your own - which is not too hard if you do not aim to be as comfortable as circuits.uart.

Open a Port — Elixir v1.12.3 and just take the bytes from the uart and write them to stdout (and vice versa).

I did this for a project of mine and it seems to work but its not battle tested. If you feel up to it I could make the code public for you to get it.

Note: I use a framed protocol, so you’d have to add the functionality you need. But my uart-adapter has just 200loc and should be easy to handle.

To give an idea how this works:

...

static void
forward(int const from, int const to, int const err_code)
{
  static char   buf[BUFSIZ];
  ssize_t const size = read(from, buf, BUFSIZ);
  require(size > 0, err_code + ERR_READ_ERROR_);
  ssize_t const write_size = write(to, buf, size);
  require(write_size == size, err_code + ERR_WRITE_ERROR_);
}

int
main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
  f_uart = config_uart(argc, argv);

  int const maxfd = f_uart + 1;
  fd_set    fds;

  for (;;) {
    FD_ZERO(&fds);
    FD_SET(f_uart, &fds);
    FD_SET(STDIN_FILENO, &fds);

    select(maxfd, &fds, NULL, NULL, NULL);

    if (FD_ISSET(f_uart, &fds)) {
      forward(f_uart, STDOUT_FILENO, ERR_FWD_STDOUT_FAILED_);
    }
    if (FD_ISSET(STDIN_FILENO, &fds)) {
      forward(STDIN_FILENO, f_uart, ERR_FWD_STDIN_FAILED_);
    }
  }

and on the Elixir side:

 def handle_info({_port, {:data, data}}, state = %{subscriber: subscriber}) do

    if subscriber do
      send(subscriber, {:data, data})
    end

    {:noreply, state}
  end

...

  @impl true
  def handle_cast({:write, data}, %{port: port} = state) do
    Port.command(port, data)
    {:noreply, state}
  end

...
bmitc

bmitc OP

Thank you for the response! I apologize for never responding, although I did read it at the time.

I haven’t been working on this project but may start it up again sometime in the new year. I will probably navigate away from Elixir Circuits, at least Ciruits.Uart since it doesn’t seem to be broadly supported for broad use cases.

In this case, as in most use cases of RS-232 and such communication, I have no control over the device’s serial protocol. One often wants to communicate with an external device that is delivered by someone else. I am considering writing my own Port library, likely using .NET’s cross-platform serial library as a starter.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews