krut

krut

I am writing an API integration that uses embedded schemas to cast response data before it is used internally. The id fields in the responses are typically integers, and I would like them to convert them to strings.

I could transform these values manually, but there are a number of different responses and schemas, all with the same id format, so I am thinking it could be nice to define a custom type that handles this conversion “behind the scenes”.

I have defined my type as:

defmodule Types.ResponseID do
  @behaviour Ecto.Type
 
  def type, do: :string

  def cast(integer) when is_integer(integer) do
    { :ok, Integer.to_string(integer) }
  end

  def cast(string) when is_binary(string), do: { :ok, string }

  def cast(_), do: :error
end

And my schema:

defmodule Thing do
  use Ecto.Schema

  import Ecto.Changeset

  @primary_key false

  embedded_schema do
    field :id, Types.ResponseID
  end

  def from_response(data) do
    %__MODULE__{}
    |> Ecto.Changeset.cast(data, [:id])
    |> apply_changes()
  end

Which then throws these warnings:

warning: function dump/1 required by behaviour Ecto.Type is not implemented (in module ResponseID)
  lib/types/response_id.ex:1: ResponseID (module)

warning: function embed_as/1 required by behaviour Ecto.Type is not implemented (in module ResponseID)
  lib/types/response_id.ex:1: ResponseID (module)

warning: function equal?/2 required by behaviour Ecto.Type is not implemented (in module ResponseID)
  lib/types/response_id.ex:1: ResponseID (module)

warning: function load/1 required by behaviour Ecto.Type is not implemented (in module ResponseID)
  lib/types/response_id.ex:1: ResponseID (module)

My question - Do I need to add @behaviour Ecto.Type for a custom type in an embedded schema? Or is this a better way to define a custom type for this use case?

I found this comment suggesting that the additional behaviors (e.g. load/dump) are not necessary for custom types in embedded schemas, but I haven’t found any documentation showing an example of how to implement:

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 3

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

The callbacks are still required for the behaviour to be correctly implemented, otherwise you’ll get the warnings you see. They’re just not used for fields in embedded schemas.

Given you also have warnings about :embed_as and :equal? you’ll want to implement those as well or use use Ecto.Type instead of @behaviour Ecto.Type to have defaults generated.

krut

krut OP

Thanks! I think use Ecto.Type is what I was looking for here, since I really only need to cast. Warnings are gone and it’s working great :slight_smile:

Aetherus

Aetherus

In Ecto 3.x, you can implement embed_as/1 and return :dump. If you do so, Ecto will call YourCustomType.dump/1 before JSON serialization when saving embedded schema into DB. On the other hand, if embed_as/1 returns :self, then Ecto won’t call dump before JSON serializing an embed.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews