GPrimola
Hey guys,
I was trying Protocols and I saw a possibility I’ve never saw before, the use of defprotocol with defstruct.
I haven’t gone too much further on the implications, but the code below works fine.
defprotocol Foo do
defstruct [:bar]
def bar(foo)
end
defimpl Foo, for: Foo do
def bar(foo), do: foo.bar
end
defprotocol Zoo do
defstruct [:foo, :some]
end
defimpl Foo, for: Zoo do
def bar(zoo), do: zoo.foo.bar
end
With the code above we can notice that the Foo protocol will also behave like a module, i.e., the functions can have a body.
This “pattern” could be useful for data inheritance/composition where we have an is relationship, like for instance when we have a case where Person “is a” User and Employee “is a” Person, and both Employee and Person structs would “inherit” (sorry the OO term) User’s attributes.
So, by using Protocols we could do:
defprotocol User do
defstruct [:username, :password]
def get_username(user)
end
defprotocol Person do
defstruct [:user, :name, :age, :birth_date]
def to_str(person)
end
# Here I could've also modeled Employee using defprotocol too
defmodule Employee do
defstruct [:person, :wage, :department]
end
defimpl User, for: Person do
def get_username(person), do: person.user.username
end
defimpl User, for: Employee do
def get_username(employee), do: employee.person.user.username
end
defimpl Person, for: Employee do
def to_str(employee) do
"#{employee.person.name} #{employee.person.age} @ #{employee.department}"
end
end
To be used like this:
iex(21)> employee = %Employee{person: %Person{user: %User{username: "gio"}, name: "Giorgio", age: "30+"}, department: "IT"}
iex(22)> User.get_username employee
"gio"
iex(23)> Person.to_str employee
"Giorgio 30+ @ IT"
My question is if Protocols were designed to be used this way too?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Sebb
From the guide:
That is not true for your protocol. Only data types that have a specific shape would work.