Using :dns_cluster with docker-compose locally (it can be done)

Warmest greetings, comrades.

I recently started using :dns_cluster (GitHub - phoenixframework/dns_cluster: Simple DNS clustering for distributed Elixir nodes) in a couple of production projects which are deployed on Fly. These all suffer from various “distributed” problems (not because of dns_cluster, just because of normal distributed problems). I have been trying to emulate the setup locally with minimal setup for new devs. I did not want to use a different clustering lib in dev (e.g. libcluster) because I think these kind of differences between prod and dev make debugging almost impossible.

So I have a working project using docker-compose where I have 2 instances of the same Phoenix application with static IP addresses on a custom docker network and with node long-names of form app_name@ip_address. This mimics the standard long-names seen on fly.io machines.

I thought about writing a blog post about it but time is very precious these days. I am already overloaded. So I am posting this here, hopefully with adequate tags and keywords to be found by someone searching.

Broad strokes what to do:

2 services in docker-compose.override.yaml

name: myapp
services:
  myapp1: &myapp_mapping
    ports:
      - "4000:4000"
    env_file: ../docker/myapp/dev.env
    environment:
      IP_V4_ADDRESS: 192.0.1.11
    volumes:
      - ../assets:/app/assets
      - ../config:/app/config:ro
      - ../lib:/app/lib:ro
      - ../priv:/app/priv
      - ../seeds:/app/seeds:ro
      - ../test:/app/test:ro
      - ../mix.exs:/app/mix.exs:ro
      - ../mix.lock:/app/mix.lock:ro
      - ../.iex.exs:/app/.iex.exs:ro
    networks:
      erlcluster:
        ipv4_address: 192.0.1.11

myapp2:
    <<: *myapp_mapping
    ports:
      - "4001:4000"
    environment:
      IP_V4_ADDRESS: 192.0.1.12
    networks:
      erlcluster:
        ipv4_address: 192.0.1.12

networks:
  erlcluster:
    ipam:
      driver: default
      config:
        - subnet: "192.0.1.0/24"

Note a custom network is created using IP range reserved for documentation and testing purposes. The volumes is a trick to get hot-reloading.

Use the ipv4_address in your docker entrypoint, e.g.

iex --name myapp@$1 --cookie $2 -S mix phx.server

the cookie is in the dev.env file.

Note both nodes have same shortname (“myapp”) but different hostnames (the ipv4 address).

So that is it in broad strokes.

The next trick is to write a custom DNS resolver module for DNSCluster, like this:

defmodule MyApp.DevDNSClusterResolver do
  @moduledoc false

require Record

Record.defrecord(:hostent, Record.extract(:hostent, from_lib: "kernel/include/inet.hrl"))

def basename(node_name) when is_atom(node_name) do
    [basename, _] = String.split(to_string(node_name), "@")
    basename
  end

def connect_node(node_name) when is_atom(node_name), do: Node.connect(node_name)

def list_nodes, do: Node.list(:visible)

def lookup(query, type) when is_binary(query) and type in [:a, :aaaa] do
    query
    |> String.split()
    |> Enum.reduce([], fn query, acc ->
      case :inet_res.getbyname(~c"#{query}", type) do
        {:ok, hostent(h_addr_list: addr_list)} -> addr_list ++ acc
        {:error, _} -> acc
      end
    end)
  end
end

This is almost identical to the normal DNSCluster.Resolver module except for the lookup function which does String.split. This hack allows us to specify multiple hosts to check for IP addresses. Note we differ from fly.io deployment here because we don’t have an overlay network (they have, e.g. myapp.internal or something like that). That’s why we need multiple calls to :inet_res.getbyname.

This is actually a good thing because we can choose which server will serve our requests since they map to different ports. Server 1 is at localhost:4000, server 2 is at localhost:4001.

Finally, you need to have this env var in, e.g dev.env:

DNS_CLUSTER_QUERY="myapp1 myapp2"

As mentioned, this will be split by our custom resolver and both IP v4 addresses are obtained.

So that’s how I got it to work. I am testing using :pogo for global singletons, regional singletons, etc. and it is nice to have 2 clustered apps by default.
It is especially comforting to my mind that they are clustering using the same lib as prod. Like I said, I can choose which server to manually test on (ports 4000 vs 4001) and I can attach to whatever running server I want.

This is not a neat write-up but there is enough info for anyone else who wants this kind of local setup for dns_cluster clustering with docker-compose. I am happy to provide more info.

5 Likes

This is pretty amazing, thank you.