derek-zhou

derek-zhou

I plan to use Ecto only to validate input data, such as a data structure passed in through a JSON api call, before doing some processing then route the result to somewhere else. There is no SQL database involved. Does it sound reasonable, or is there a smaller library that can accomplish the same thing?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

Exadra37

Exadra37

I am using Ecto changesets in my project that only uses a Mnesia database.

The only downside is that I need to require a lot that is not needed to get it to work.

Not aware if any other lib exists.

hauleth

hauleth

I find it reasonable choice.

tomkonidas

tomkonidas

I have not used it myself, but maybe Vex — Vex v0.9.2 could be something interesting to look at

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I do that all the time and it always worked really well.

There are a few gotchas however e.g. if you put value in the changeset that is the same as the default value (usually nil but not always) then the changeset won’t count it as a change so you might need to use force_change.

That being said, Ecto is amazingly well documented. You will know exactly what you’re getting into, and 99% of the time it will be good and predictable.

13
Post #4
gregvaughn

gregvaughn

I gave a talk with this same title, so I’m in favor

17
Post #5
Tam

Tam

Synonym for “double underscore” is “dunder” in the python community. Really great talk, thank you!

lc0815

lc0815

glad I found this, great info thanks

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews