joaohf

joaohf

Hello!

This is about running BEAM using embedded linux. One way to get this working is using Yocto Project (Openembedded). I have been working in a layer which brings BEAM (Erlang and Elixir) to YP/Openembedded. See GitHub - meta-erlang/meta-erlang: Erlang and Elixir support, https://meta-erlang.github.io/ · GitHub.
Of course to get a real picture, a bit of knowledgment using YP is good to have (See: Yocto Project Quick Build) before start any adventure.

I’ve watched a talk in Code Sync STO from Boyd Multerer about Elixir and Scenic (GitHub - ScenicFramework/scenic: Core Scenic library · GitHub). That was very interesting.

After some experiments with YP, scenic and meta-erlang; I would like to share my results and maybe anybody with expirience using scenic/opengl to get some insights about what is going on. Keep reading.

Yocto has a qemu emulator and I can run scenic demo (mix scenic_new) inside the qemu emulator. I’ve attached three screenshots, well is not fully working yet.

I did an application called axon_scenic using scenic_demo and release it using distillery (all of that cross-compiling using yocto sdk). See: GitHub - joaohf/axon-scenic: A simple elixir application with scenic · GitHub

After scenic starts (inside the qemu), the follow issues happens:

  • ‘load_texture_error: {:error, :not_found}’ multiple times
  • using the top command, the CPU consume is almost 97% all the time
  • the scenic screen does not respond to clicks, but the temperature changes over the time

1- scenic demo: https://pasteboard.co/IgGSkWO.png
2- load texture error message: https://pasteboard.co/IgGSRs5.png
3- top showing high cpu user: https://pasteboard.co/IgGT8Q7.png

Do you have any idea about what could be the issue?

My next step to investigate this problem will be run my application using a real hardware.

Best regards,

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews