stevensonmt

stevensonmt

I’m used to Rust where iterators have a ton of handy functions. What I’d like to do is equivalent to the following Rust code:

my_iterator.iter()
           .skip(n)
           .map(|x| my_fun(x))
           .collect()

In more concrete terms

fn my_fun(x: i32) -> i32 { x * 10 }
let my_iterator = vec![1,2,3,4,5];
my_iterator.iter()
           .skip(2)
           .map(|x| my_fun(x))
           .collect::<Vec<i32>>()
// [1,2,30,40,50]

Is there an equivalent in Elixir? Or would I need to do something like

my_list = [1,2,3,4,5]
map_or_not(my_list)

def map_or_not([1 | [ 2 | t ]]) do
  [1 | [2 |map_or_not(t)]]
end 

def map_or_not(list) do 
  list |> Enum.map(fn x -> x * 10 end)
end

Showing Posts 1 to 5

brettbeatty

brettbeatty

That’s not the behavior I’m seeing from skip. When I run that I get [30, 40, 50]. It appears to behave like Enum.drop/2 or Stream.drop/2.

As for how to get the behavior you want, you could use Enum.reduce/3 or Stream.scan/3, using an acc to count down elements not to touch, then performing the mapping function when the acc is 0.

Or even easier might be Enumerable.map_reduce/3:

{result, _acc} =
  Enum.map_reduce([1, 2, 3, 4, 5], 2, fn
    item, 0 ->
      {item * 10, 0}

    item, acc ->
      {item, acc - 1}
  end)

result
# => [1, 2, 30, 40, 50]
stevensonmt

stevensonmt OP

Sorry, rust code should have used iter_mut() without a collect() call on a mutable vec. Good suggestion for the countdown accumulator. Thanks.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

You should be able to write exactly what you mean:

s = 1..5

new_stream =
  Stream.concat(
    Stream.take(s, 2),
    Stream.drop(s, 2) |> Stream.map(& &1*10)
  )

Enum.to_list(new_stream) # => [1, 2, 30, 40, 50]

One caveat: this will traverse the first two elements of the stream twice. That’s no problem for most Elixir data structures, but will cause strange behavior when streaming from a stateful resource like the result of File.stream!.

ondrej-tucek

ondrej-tucek

I think you can make it simply

list = 1..5 # or list = [1,2,3,4,5]

skip_by_val = fn
   x, y when x <= y -> x
   x, _y -> 10*x
end

list |> Stream.map(&skip_by_val.(&1, 2)) |>  Enum.to_list()

or

skip_by_idx = fn
   {x, idx_x}, idx when idx_x <= idx -> x
   {x, _idx_x}, _idx -> 10*x   
end

list |> Stream.with_index(1) |> Stream.map(&skip_by_idx.(&1, 2)) |> Enum.to_list()

stevensonmt

stevensonmt OP

Thanks for all the help! Stream.concat is a pretty obvious. literal translation of what I was trying to do, so thanks for that tip. And simply pattern matching the index/position for applying the mapping function is probably the most obvious way to do what I want. Thanks again.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews