Zsolt

Zsolt

I’m trying to get some code to run in Flyio Flame machines.

I have a phoenix app (although, I think the question applies more generally to Elixir and Flame).

There is a live file upload module that takes a few files, and using an image library resizes, converts and saves them to disk. The path to the images is saved in a Postgres db. Very simplistic, this is a learning tool, not a production app.

Resizing and saving the files is not CPU intensive, but it can use up a lot of memory, so it would help to do each operation on a new machine. (I’m aware other kinds optimizations are possible, but the purpose of this is to try Flame).

This blog post (Rethinking Serverless with FLAME · The Fly Blog) seems to state that it’s enough to wrap a chunk of code in a FLAME.call with a FLAME.Pool and those chunks should run on separate machines.

That’s it! FLAME.call accepts the name of a runner pool, and a function. It then finds or boots a new copy of our entire application and runs the function there.

I have this implementation and I’m not seeing and Flame machines start up. Am I doing something wrong? Did I misunderstand the post, and do I in fact need the entire GenServer and FLAME.place_child functionality?

The FLAME.Pool in /lib/phoenix_albums/application.ex

  @impl true
  def start(_type, _args) do
    flame_parent = FLAME.Parent.get()

    children =
      [
        PhoenixAlbumsWeb.Telemetry,
        PhoenixAlbums.Repo,
        {DNSCluster, query: Application.get_env(:phoenix_albums, :dns_cluster_query) || :ignore},
        {Phoenix.PubSub, name: PhoenixAlbums.PubSub},
        # Start the Finch HTTP client for sending emails
        {Finch, name: PhoenixAlbums.Finch},
        # Start a worker by calling: PhoenixAlbums.Worker.start_link(arg)
        # {PhoenixAlbums.Worker, arg},
        # Start to serve requests, typically the last entry
        {FLAME.Pool,
         name: PhoenixAlbums.ImageProcessor, min: 0, max: 10, max_concurrency: 1, log: :debug},
        !flame_parent && PhoenixAlbumsWeb.Endpoint
      ]
      |> Enum.filter(& &1)

    # See https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/Supervisor.html
    # for other strategies and supported options
    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: PhoenixAlbums.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end

My upload handler in the live fodler:

 @impl Phoenix.LiveView
  def handle_event("save", params, socket) do
    unless File.exists?(@folder) do
      File.mkdir!(@folder)
    end

    uploaded_files =
      consume_uploaded_entries(socket, :avatar, fn %{path: path}, entry ->
   
        uuid = UUID.generate()
        image_folder = "#{@folder}/#{uuid}"

        unless File.exists?(image_folder) do
          File.mkdir!(image_folder)
        end

        FLAME.call(
          PhoenixAlbums.ImageProcessor,
          fn -> resize_image(:thumbnail, path, 150, image_folder) end
        )

        FLAME.call(PhoenixAlbums.ImageProcessor, fn ->
          resize_image(:medium, path, 800, image_folder)
        end)

        FLAME.call(PhoenixAlbums.ImageProcessor, fn ->
          save_original(path, image_folder)
        end)

        image = Map.merge(params, %{"user_id" => socket.assigns.user_id, "url" => image_folder})

        case Album.create_image(image) do
          {:ok, image} ->
            socket
            |> put_flash(:info, "Image created successfully.")

            {:ok, ~p"/images/#{image}"}
        end
      end)

    {:noreply, update(socket, :uploaded_files, &(&1 ++ uploaded_files))}
  end

Here I just wrapped resize_image and save_original functions, with the expectation, that these would be run on separate machines. The code runs on fly just the same as without the wrappers, and I’m not sure why.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

Have you configured the FlyBackend? You can either pass the backend to the pool options, or per the FlyBackend docs:

The only required configuration is telling FLAME to use the
FLAME.FlyBackend by default and the :token which is your Fly.io API
token. These can be set via application configuration in your config/runtime.exs
withing a :prod block:

  if config_env() == :prod do
    config :flame, :backend, FLAME.FlyBackend
    config :flame, FLAME.FlyBackend, token: System.fetch_env!("FLY_API_TOKEN")
    ...
  end
Zsolt

Zsolt OP

Thank you, I completely missed that. After setting the token deployment was a little bumpy, but this helped: Deployments not working: error connecting to docker - #2 by greg - Questions / Help - Fly.io and now I can see the machines starting up straight away.

Zsolt

Zsolt OP

What determines the number of flame runners being started?

I have the following config:

application.ex

  @impl true
  def start(_type, _args) do
    flame_parent = FLAME.Parent.get()

    children =
      [
        PhoenixAlbumsWeb.Telemetry,
        PhoenixAlbums.Repo,
        {DNSCluster, query: Application.get_env(:phoenix_albums, :dns_cluster_query) || :ignore},
        {Phoenix.PubSub, name: PhoenixAlbums.PubSub},
        # Start the Finch HTTP client for sending emails
        {Finch, name: PhoenixAlbums.Finch},
        # Start a worker by calling: PhoenixAlbums.Worker.start_link(arg)
        # {PhoenixAlbums.Worker, arg},
        # Start to serve requests, typically the last entry
        {FLAME.Pool,
         name: PhoenixAlbums.ImageProcessor,
         min: 0,
         max: 10,
         max_concurrency: 1,
         single_use: true,
         log: :debug,
        !flame_parent && PhoenixAlbumsWeb.Endpoint
      ]
      |> Enum.filter(& &1)

    # See https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/Supervisor.html
    # for other strategies and supported options
    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: PhoenixAlbums.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end

config/runtime.exs

  config :flame, :backend, FLAME.FlyBackend
  config :flame, FLAME.FlyBackend, token: System.fetch_env!("FLY_API_TOKEN")

and three separate cast calls to some functions.

    FLAME.cast(
      PhoenixAlbums.ImageProcessor,
      fn -> resize_image(:medium, file, uuid) end
    )

    FLAME.cast(PhoenixAlbums.ImageProcessor, fn ->
      resize_image(:thumbnail, file, uuid)
    end)

    FLAME.cast(PhoenixAlbums.ImageProcessor, fn ->
      save_original(file, uuid)
    end)

I always get one runner where all three calls are executed, but I would expect to spawn three instances. How do I organize these calls to run in separate machines?

Zsolt

Zsolt OP

There is a } and the end of the pool config:

`  log: :debug },`
willfore

willfore

You ever figure this out? I seem to be having the same issue right now. Only I’m not using single_use: true

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

charlesfsl
Introductory paragraph This role serves as a senior technical leader who owns the health and direction of SmartLogic’s engineering organi...
New
mehmetsekercioglu
Hello, I’ve been building Zygo, a Linux sandbox runtime for running code other people wrote: customer plugins, workflow steps, an LLM’s ...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews