moxley
I’m trying to understand the Ash filter expression syntax for working with json arrays within a jsonb column in ash_postgres.
I have a jsonb column, settings, on a table notification_settings
For a simple equality expression, I can use the == operator:
NotificationSettings
|> Ash.Query.filter(settings["foo"] == "bar")
|> Ash.read!(authorize?: false)
But for a value in enum expression:
NotificationSettings
|> Ash.Query.filter("email" in settings["dues_reminders"])
|> Ash.read!(authorize?: false)
It produces:
** (Ash.Error.Unknown)
Bread Crumbs:
> Error returned from: NotificationSettings.read
Unknown Error
* ** (Postgrex.Error) ERROR 22P02 (invalid_text_representation) malformed array literal: "["email"]". If you are trying to query a JSON field, the parameter may need to be interpolated. Instead of
p.json["field"] != "value"
do
p.json["field"] != ^"value"
"[" must introduce explicitly-specified array dimensions.
So I have to use fragment() instead:
NotificationSettings
|> Ash.Query.filter(fragment("?->'dues_reminders' \\? ?", settings, "email"))
|> Ash.read!(authorize?: false)
A very similar thing happens with is_nil() on a jsonb property:
NotificationSettings
|> Ash.Query.filter(is_nil(settings["dues_reminders"]))
|> Ash.read!(authorize?: false)
It produces:
* ** (Postgrex.Error) ERROR 22P02 (invalid_text_representation) malformed array literal: "["email"]"...
For that too, I must use fragment instead:
NotificationSettings
|> Ash.Query.filter(fragment("?->'dues_reminders' is null", settings))
|> Ash.read!(authorize?: false)
Is this correct? Is there no built-in syntax for doing jsonb value comparisons beyond the == operator?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











First Post!- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
I believe this is a bug. Please open an issue and I will investigate
Last Post!
moxley
Thanks @zachdaniel !
I created an ash_postgres PR that reproduces the
is_nil()issue: Demonstrate failed query for is_nil on array within jsonb by moxley · Pull Request #615 · ash-project/ash_postgres · GitHub