minhajuddin
I have seen a lot of code which picks the first element from a list using Enum.at(0) instead of List.first. Is there a reason why people use Enum.at(0)? List.first seems like the simpler of the two.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
alexgaribay
The docs for the
Listmodule states it works only on lists whereas theEnummodule works on anything that implements theEnumerableprotocol. Additionally, theListmodule docs recommends using theEnummodule.This comes directly from the
Listdocs:I’d probably go with using
Enumin general. I have never found myself reaching for an API available inListin the past year of my Elixir development.rkma
Also see that the implementation of
List.firstis very simple:def first(), do: nil
def first([h | _]), do: h
from elixir/lib/elixir/lib/list.ex at v1.3.4 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub
ejc123
I usually use
Enum.take/2I started wondering if one should prefer either
Enum.take/2orEnum.at/3when I realized that what I usually want isEnum.head/1. That started me thinking that the the more functional approach is pattern matching[ head | tail ].I (re-)learn something new every day.
sotojuan
I just use
hd.rkma
The difference is that, for an empty list,
List.first/1andEnum.at/2will returnnilandhdand pattern matching will raise an error.rvirding
Depends on how strict you want to be. Should it really be a list with a first element or not?
benwilson512
FWIW I literally never use
Enum.at. Lists are the only thing I end up using on a regularly basis where “first” actually means something. That is, I’m not sure why I would ever callEnum.at(0)on a map. Given that looking at a list,List.firstis just more semantically clear.michalmuskala
I have to second @benwilson512 here, I also almost never use
Enum.at/1.martinos
On my side I like to use
hdbecause it’s very short, but I agree that it applies only to Lists.benwilson512
There’s a big difference between
hdandList.firsthowever.[] |> hdblows up.[] |> List.firstisnil. I almost never usehdbecause I can generally just pattern match when I expect there will be one thing.List.firstis handy when I either want the first thing or nil if there isn’t any.