Darth-Knoppix
I’m having trouble figuring out if Ash Authentication Phoenix supports registration via magic link by default.
Context
- I’ve setup password authentication, resets and magic links following through https://hexdocs.pm/ash_authentication/magic-links-quickstart.html.
- Sign in page shows magic link option that works (sends email)
- Registration page shows the magic link option but it doesn’t send an email
I’ve setup the default sign_in_routes like this:
sign_in_route(
register_path: "/register",
reset_path: "/reset",
overrides: [KlipitPlatformWeb.AuthOverrides, AshAuthentication.Phoenix.Overrides.Default],
layout: {KlipitPlatformWeb.Layouts, :public},
on_mount: [{KlipitPlatformWeb.UserLiveAuth, :public}]
)
Is this by design or am I missing something?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming












Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
Interesting. I haven’t actually set up the magic link strategy myself, so @jimsynz will probably need to chime in on this front.
jimsynz
I had to go back through the code - it looks like registration isn’t supported by magic link, although I imagine it would be pretty easy to add it. Feel free to open a feature request issue on the repo, or better yet a PR.
water
I think magic links is a great concept, but will this handle ‘2nd device’ auth?
eg.
Now the session will happen on your phone, not on the computer?
Darth-Knoppix
Cheers for checking that!
I’ve had a look at the Ash Authentication repo and compared the password strategy with the magic links. I can see how it should work so I might give it a go if I get some time.
Darth-Knoppix
I definitely see this as a risk but it could be handled by messaging in the email or on the registration view like “Your magic link will log you in on the device you open it with, don’t share this with anyone”.
I haven’t seen any more sophisticated solutions to this in the wild but I’d be interested if you have