RemyXRenard
In the examples for using mix phx.gen.html (and gen.schema) the schema usually has only one or two fields, e.g. from the docs:
mix phx.gen.html Accounts User users name:string age:integer
If I want to create a context and schema with more fields (~30), is there another way to get the CRUD generation aside from typing out everything at the command line (with potential typos)?
I can think of three options:
- provide a file for input to mix phx.gen.html. Is that possible?
- Alternatively, create a smaller schema with the generator and do migrations and bit of schema and heex edting to add everything else, which misses out on the convenience of the generator.
- As mentioned above, carefully type out the entire mix gen command and hope all goes well.
Is there a best practice or common way to do this?
The goal behind this is to create work request, something like:
mix gen.phx.html Request Submission submissions name:string date:date…and so forth with many fields.
I realize the default templates may look unwieldy, but this is a quick and dirty demo to get user feedback.
Thanks for any guidance!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
In my third year of college, around 2010, I found Erlang. A few years later, I found Elixir. I liked the ideas at once: many small proces...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
tcoopman
Most shells have the option to edit the command you’re typing in an editor. I guess that would be some kind of solution.
I don’t know the shortcut by hand but I think for fish it’s alt+e.
dimitarvp
You can type out the entire thing in an editor and then paste it in the terminal, or type it in the terminal and put
\as line breaks to make it easier to follow.RemyXRenard
Hah, copy and paste. I should have thought of that! Simplicity is best. Thanks!
Edit: thanks also for the advice on line editing, I’m using cmd on Windows and not a unix shell, so it’s a little different. I did test the following, which will work using the line continuation character ^, typing in an editor and pasting into the command window on Windows 11.