sfrances

sfrances

Hi

I’m trying to use module attributes in my typespec, but I get errors when I do this:

defmodule KitchenCalculator do
  @ml :milliliter
  @cup :cup
  @fluid_ounce :fluid_ounce
  @tsp :teaspoon
  @tbsp :tablespoon

  @type unit :: @ml | @cup | @fluid_ounce | @tsp | @tbsp

  # More stuff here
end

I get the error:

** (CompileError) lib/kitchen_calculator.ex:8: type ml/0 undefined (no such type in KitchenCalculator)
    (elixir 1.12.2) lib/kernel/typespec.ex:925: Kernel.Typespec.compile_error/2
    (stdlib 3.15.2) lists.erl:1358: :lists.mapfoldl/3
    (elixir 1.12.2) lib/kernel/typespec.ex:834: Kernel.Typespec.typespec/4
    (stdlib 3.15.2) lists.erl:1358: :lists.mapfoldl/3
    (elixir 1.12.2) lib/kernel/typespec.ex:464: Kernel.Typespec.typespec/4
    (elixir 1.12.2) lib/kernel/typespec.ex:307: Kernel.Typespec.translate_type/2
    (stdlib 3.15.2) lists.erl:1358: :lists.mapfoldl/3
    (elixir 1.12.2) lib/kernel/typespec.ex:235: Kernel.Typespec.translate_typespecs_for_module/2

I use the module attributes later on, to reduce duplication and chance of errors via typos when typing out atoms. Is there any way to achieve this, or do I just live with the minor duplication?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

You can do it like this:

defmodule KitchenCalculator do
  @ml :milliliter
  @cup :cup
  @fluid_ounce :fluid_ounce
  @tsp :teaspoon
  @tbsp :tablespoon

  types = Enum.reduce([@ml, @cup, @fluid_ounce, @tsp, @tbsp], &({:|, [], [&1, &2]}))
  @type unit :: unquote(types)

  # More stuff here
end

You could of course encapsulate the Enum.reduce/2 into a macro and reuse it that way.

iex> t KitchenCalculator.unit
@type unit() :: :tablespoon | :teaspoon | :fluid_ounce | :cup | :milliliter

BTW, if you’re spending a lot of time with units, unit math and unit conversions, and potentially unit serialisation and localization, you might find ex_cldr_units helpful (I’m the author).

sfrances

sfrances OP

Thanks @kip . Need to get into macros, an as yet undiscovered part of Elixir for me :slight_smile:

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

In the few occasions when I’ve used the technique above I have done it directly. In my cases, building a macro just to do that hasn’t been important and I felt it would actually make the code more obscure. By having the Metaprogramming line directly above, it makes it easy for “future me” to work out what I was thinking.

I’m sure you’ve heard the aphorism in Elixir-land, “first rule of macros is don’t use macros”.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews