script

script

I am using MYSQL instead of Postgres for my database. For Postgres it’s simple we can create a type using enum and use it in the migration to allow the values in the enum, but MYSQL doesn’t support this. Now, If I want the enum in the migrations. How can I do that with MYSQL? Let’s say this is my migration.

create table(:user) do

  add(:role, :string) # 'owner', 'worker', 'manager', 'pending_approval'
  add(:business_id, :string, null: false, default: "")
end

I only want to allow owner, worker, manager, pending approvals for role field.
Thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

script

script OP

I figure out a workaround for this. After creating a table with ecto migration. I executed SQL command to alter the table and add the enum column like this:

create table(:users) do
  add(:business_id, :string, null: false, default: "")
end

execute "ALTER TABLE users
   ADD role ENUM('owner', 'worker', 'manager', 'pending_approval');"
felix-starman

felix-starman

If someone comes across this, “quoted atoms” has been an undocumented way of supporting this and other interesting things in MariaDB/MySQL, but it’s now documented:

create table("my_table") do
  # ...
  add :my_enum, :"ENUM('value1', 'value2', 'value3')", null: false
end

This is because the migrator just passes the stringified-atom through if it’s something it doesn’t specifically handle.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews