cvkmohan
The phx.gen.auth module has been super helpful for both plug-and-play authentication in the application as well as learning through code.
This is what I found in user_auth.ex in the controller folder -
@doc """
Used for routes that require the user to be authenticated.
If you want to enforce the user email is confirmed before
they use the application at all, here would be a good place.
"""
def require_authenticated_user(conn, _opts) do
if conn.assigns[:current_user] do
conn
else
conn
|> put_flash(:error, "You must log in to access this page.")
|> maybe_store_return_to()
|> redirect(to: Routes.user_session_path(conn, :new))
|> halt()
end
end
Look at how beautifully it is documented that - this is a good place if you want to allow only confirmed users to login.
The above function is a plug - and - is using conn which is not available in LiveView. So, modifying the code here would mean it would work only for regular views. For a LiveView, should we duplicate the code? Or is there any best practice available?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
llama
Finally a question (I think) I know the answer to!
The answer is yes, you have to put any verification or initialization you want to do to the socket into the mount function. Alternatively, you can use the on_mount function to bundle up things you want done. More at link.
cvkmohan
Thanks @llama. I have seen this document earlier as well. My concern is - we have to right the same logic twice - once in the plug - and one more time in the on_mount hook.
I thought there might be a way in which you only write it at one place inside the phx.gen.auth generated files. For example in the
loginfunction - or - may beget_user_by_passwordin the accounts context. I wanted to know the best way or what is the general practice.