Qqwy
TypeCheck Core Team
Hello Everyone,
I am working on a small Phoenix/Ecto project. One of the features of this application is going to be that people can upload images. Right now I am using arc (and arc_ecto) to make the uploading procedure easier.
However, I want to store the dimensions and other metadata of the image that has been saved in the database as well, to make it nicer to display it in a gallery later.
I know there are multiple packages on Hex.pm that allow you to do this, such as fastimage, but these libraries work with a pathname to the file.
- Exactly how can I make a library that takes a pathname consume a
%Plug.Upload{}struct? I believe it contains a:pathfield, but I have been unable to build a%Plug.Upload{}manually to try it out. There is documentation of Plug.Upload, but it is rather short and uninformative (does the:pathfield include or exclude the actual filename itself, or only its folder? How do you make a%Plug.Upload{}struct manually?). - Related to this: How can you test file-uploading code? I am interested in doing both a feature-test, testing only if when you have a file if the dimensions are read and added to the changeset properly, and a full-stack test where a file is selected from the browser and it is then attempted to be uploaded.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Qqwy
All right! I have since learned that the
:pathfield is a path to a temporary file (including the filename itself). The:filenameis the name used during uploading, which can be used to do (a weak form of!) MIME-checking, and possibly to store it in your app, etc.I was able to call ImageMagick using the extracted
:path. (Yes, this code should be cleaned up and get some documentation, but it’s a proof-of-concept.)In my Phoenix 1.3 changeset function I’ve added a call to this function to the pipeline:
This works!
What I am yet to figure out though, is how this code can be tested properly. Please help!
OvermindDL1
I’d hardcode a known file in the project somewhere, create a custom
%Plug.Upload{}with the proper:pathset, then just call it and test the output.arkgil
IIRC, when I was working with file uploads in tests, I was creating
Plug.Uploadstruct manually and passed it as regular parameter toget,postetc. macros in controller tests:EDIT: but of course the question is about changesets
I think @OvermindDL1 is with the right approach.
StefanHoutzager
Maybe validity of path + filename have to be checked also? I’m still struggling with the when and how of unit tests.
http://rbcs-us.com/documents/Why-Most-Unit-Testing-is-Waste.pdf
http://rbcs-us.com/documents/Segue.pdf
axelclark
I’m trying to test a file upload in my controller test. I’m using the approach you recommended:
but I keep getting the following error:
Here is my code:
I read the Phoenix.Params docs, but couldn’t figure out how to fix the error from the docs. Any ideas how to fix it? Thanks!
josevalim
When you do it as
post(conn, table_upload_path(conn, :create, table_upload: params)), you are passing the parameters as part of the query string, i.e. as part of the URL. You need to pass it as part of the post:axelclark
Good to go after the update, thanks!