slouchpie
Gigalixir lets us start a remote shell, similar to iex --remsh. The command is:
gigalixir ps:remote_console -a my-app
Does anyone know if there is a way to make this shell use my project’s .iex.exs. I want this because my .iex.exs contains lots of nice aliases. I get very tired of typing alias MyApp.SomeContext.SomeModule.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Other Trending Topics
A new screencast on live LiveView updates with PubSub, the Oban Web dashboard, and smarter retries. Part 2 of 2. Screencast + full walkth...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
You can do this:
slouchpie
This is a perfect workaround for my use case but I cannot mark it “solution” unless we are sure there is no way to use the project
iex.exsin gigalixir remote_console.Thanks very much for this simple brilliant idea.
LostKobrakai
Afaik releases don’t work with
.iex.exs, but I’m not 100% sure about that.wojtekmach
I noticed than when building the release locally and connecting to it, it works:
However, if I start the release from another directory, it doesn’t work:
It seems it’s a matter of where you start your release from and whether that
directory contains the
.iex.exsfile and so you could change your:releasesMix configuration to copy the file into appropriate location.
I did notice one thing that while executing code or setting up aliases in the
.iex.exsfile work, autocomplete of these aliases does not so it’s seemsit’s not fully supported.
slouchpie
Aha, that’s my problem. I was doing it with a monorepo where the
.iex.exswas in a subdirectory. Thanks!LostKobrakai
Sounds like one could create a release step bundling a local .iex.exs like config/releases.exs and editing
remote_console, so it automatically loads from there.slouchpie
What do you mean by “editing
remote_console”?LostKobrakai
Modifying this part in the created binary you call with
bin/myapp remote, so it automatically loads the.iex.exsfrom wherever it is stored.https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/master/lib/mix/lib/mix/tasks/release.init.ex#L198-L205
slouchpie
OK so I moved from doing Mix releases to doing Elixir releases with clustering and I discovered that the
.iex.exssimply is nowhere on the deployed instance:connect to instance:
search for
.iex.exs:returns:
so I guess the release doesn’t include the
.iex.exs. I am starting to understand more now.slouchpie
I have no idea how to do this with a gigalixir release.