hectorsq

hectorsq

Hello!

I am writing an application that translates JSON messages to SOAP messages. Currently I am handling 16 JSON messages and 20 SOAP messages.

I have defined embedded schemas to validate the incoming JSON messages and to build the XML SOAP message using heex templates.

I have a Parse module with a multiple clause parse function for each incoming message. I also have a Convert module with a multiple clause convert function for each JSON message. This same pattern is repeated in other modules and each module has hundreds of code lines.

I feel this is a smell for bad code organization. Am I right?

I have the idea to use protocols to reorganize my app. I would move each parse and convert function to the corresponding schema file. Is it a good idea?

Would my code be more object oriented (which I want to avoid)?

I appreciate any comments.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

For 7.5 years with Elixir I only ever needed to implement a protocol for one thing – Jason for our own structs in the project.

Make sub-modules and have them implement behaviours – one for parsers and one for converters. Behaviours are not strictly needed but at least if you make a mistake in an implementing module’s function’s signature then your IDE + LSP will warn you.

Your central parser module still has to detect to which specialized parser module it must send the data. What you’ll gain is that the number of coding lines in it will be drastically reduced because you will only keep all the pattern-matching function heads, but now their bodies will only contain code like ParserTypeXYZ.parse(input_data) and nothing else.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews