tetiana

tetiana

Before Elixir 1.7 we were happy to send errors to appsignal when exq job failed to complete.
We have implemented a middleware behaviour to achieve that.

defmodule Exq.Middleware.AppSignal do
  @moduledoc false

  @behaviour Exq.Middleware.Behaviour

  alias Exq.Middleware.Pipeline
  import Pipeline

  def before_work(pipeline) do
    transaction =
      Appsignal.Transaction.generate_id()
      |> Appsignal.Transaction.start(:background_job)
      |> Appsignal.Transaction.set_action("Exq/#{pipeline.assigns.worker_module}")
      |> Appsignal.Transaction.set_sample_data(
        "environment",
        %{job_id: pipeline.assigns.job.jid}
      )

    assign(pipeline, :appsignal_transaction, transaction)
  end

  def after_processed_work(pipeline) do
    transaction = pipeline.assigns.appsignal_transaction
    Appsignal.Transaction.finish(transaction)
    Appsignal.Transaction.complete(transaction)

    pipeline
  end

  def after_failed_work(pipeline) do
    transaction = pipeline.assigns.appsignal_transaction

    _ =
      Appsignal.Transaction.set_error(
        transaction,
        "Exq job failed with exception",
        pipeline.assigns.error_message,
        System.stacktrace()   # <---- DEPRECATED!
      )

    Appsignal.Transaction.finish(transaction)
    Appsignal.Transaction.complete(transaction)

    pipeline
  end
end

In Elixir 1.7.2 System.stacktrace() is deprecated, so we are wondering what would be the best way to report errors to appsignal from our middleware.

We can pass stacktrace as [ ]. That is not ideal, as it would be great to have stacktrace.

As compilation warning suggests, use __STACKTRACE__ in try/rescue block and once we have stacktrace pass it to after_failed_work callback as second parameter? But that would mean that we have to suggest to change Exq.Middleware.Behaviour definition to allow optional stacktrace argument.

If you have an idea of how we can solve this, don’t hesitate to share and discuss.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Ugly and slow, but you could maybe ‘make’ your own stacktrace? by just raising and catching your own error? Though getting a stacktrace in the old versions was not fast either so eh. ^.^;

tetiana

tetiana OP

Yeah. That’s an interesting idea. I’ll keep it in mind. Also, I will dive into exq library to see if stack trace can be passed to the after_processed_work.

dideler

dideler

We have the same issue, that is, using System.stacktrace/0 without an exception and therefore no rescue/catch.

We have some code where we handle error tuples by collecting information, which includes the stacktrace, and send the data to a monitoring service.

def set_error(transaction, name, message, reason) do backtrace = ([reason] ++ 
  System.stacktrace()) |&gt; Enum.map(&amp;inspect/1) 
  Appsignal.Transaction.set_error(transaction, name, message, backtrace)
end

I’ve considered creating our own fake exception but that changes the stacktrace.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews