vrod

vrod

Hello! I am studying the Task module and I am trying to teach myself some patterns of concurrency in Elixir. I found something like this while reading the documentation for Process.sleep/1:

Task.start_link(fn ->
      Process.sleep(:timer.seconds(1))
      send(parent, :work_is_done)
end)

receive do
  :work_is_done -> IO.puts("Task complete!")
after
  2_000 -> IO.puts("Operation timed out.")
end

My question is: is this the same as using Task.async?


async_task = Task.async(fn ->
      Process.sleep(:timer.seconds(1))
      :work_is_done
end)

val = Task.await(async_task)
IO.inspect(val)
# :work_is_done

So this gives me 3 questions (related) that I hope someone can explain to me:

  1. Does Task.await function the same way as the send + receive example? (I like the syntax of Task.async and Task.await, but I want to make sure this is only syntax difference)
  2. I tried doing send/recieve from Task.start/1 and it seems to work the same as Task.start_link/1. Is there case where Task.start/1 must be used or case where Task.start_link/1 must be used?
  3. If I have a list of tasks, is it always better to use Task.async_stream? I tried using Enum.map to put many Task.asyncs together and it seems like Task.async_stream is a better way.

Thank you! I want to try to understand this well before I study GenServers.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

lovyou

lovyou

  1. Generally yes. There is more stuff that is done underneath but at the end we use send and receive. The same information you can find in the documentation:

One of the common uses of tasks is to convert sequential code into concurrent code with Task.async/1 while keeping its semantics. When invoked, a new process will be created, linked and monitored by the caller. Once the task action finishes, a message will be sent to the caller with the result.

  1. Yes, you use start_link instead of start when you want to start a process linked to the current process. You can find more information about linking here: https://elixir-lang.org/getting-started/processes.html#links.

  2. Yes, Task.async_stream be first thing to consider. If it doesn’t meet your requirements, then you can combine Task.async with Enum/Stream functions.

vrod

vrod OP

Thank you for your response! I think this is beginning to make sense.

ityonemo

ityonemo

It’s not exactly the same. Task.async is a bit smarter than that, because when you call it it saves a reference. When the await catches the message, it pattern matches against the reference to make sure it’s matching against the right task.

This protects against the situation where tasks cross streams. In the Task implementation, you can do this:

1..10
|> Enum.map(&Task.async(fn ->
  Process.sleep(Enum.random(1..200))
  &1
end))
|> Enum.map(&Task.await/1)

And your 1..10 will come back in order; they will not with your await implementation.

Check the elixir code for task.await: elixir/lib/elixir/lib/task.ex at v1.10.4 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub

This pattern will reappear in gen_server.call, so understanding it is probably a good idea :smiley:

ityonemo

ityonemo

Also, if you’re still early on, Task is kind of still only the first layer on top of spawn. I use it a lot in tests, but I think for anything that hits prod you should consider Task.Supervised functions. It may not be necessary to fully understand yet depending on where you are in elixir learning.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews