Dennis

Dennis

Disclaim: I am rather new to Elxiir and Phonix, though I do have some experience in other languages.

As far as I understand, a template engine, or its compile function, is something that takes a template and assigns, replaces some specially marked elements in the template, and returns a string. So theoretically this function can be used without Phoenix and its model-view-controller architecture. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find any example of applying it this way. The documentation only says

compile(template_path :: binary, template_name :: binary) :: Macro.t

Can anybody give me an example of how to apply this function? I tried Phoenix.Template.EExEngine.compile('.', "a.eex"), but got the error message

(ArgumentError) template paths in Phoenix require the format extension, got: a.b
    (phoenix_template 1.0.4) lib/phoenix/template/eex_engine.ex:19: Phoenix.Template.EExEngine.options_for/1
    (phoenix_template 1.0.4) lib/phoenix/template/eex_engine.ex:9: Phoenix.Template.EExEngine.compile/2
    iex:43: (file)

Showing Posts 1 to 2

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

IMO that particular boundary isn’t intended to be used separately - compile/2 is an interface for template engines to “plug into” Phoenix.Template.compile_all and similar functions, so there’s a lot of supporting code needed around it.

The underlying library, EEx has significantly better documentation and would be a better place to start.

D4no0

D4no0

The last time i stole got inspired from phoenix embedded engine, it was straightforward. You can look at the source of ~H sigil here.

Since this sigil is html aware, I think it has more than just a eex under the hood. I would just copy the sigil code with those engines to avoid headaches. If you are just interested in a engine that just escapes html, look at older versions of phoenix, the old ones they used were simple.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews