Astarno

Astarno

Hi there,

I am currently trying to add logging capabilities to GenServers. I am aware that there are existing solutions that provide insights into a GenServer’s behavior, including logging, but this is not what I am looking for. I am looking to implement a solution myself, one I can afterwards customize and expand upon (e.g. instead of logging make API calls). For this purpose, I found the Interceptor library. This seems great for what I want to do as it allows for some custom code could be executed before/after/… a specified function each time it is executed.

What I did until now is the following. First, I made my own module called GenServerViz. In this module I basically copied all of the regular GenServer code I found on GitHub, but then expanded it with the Interceptor library. I then use GenServerViz instead of the regular GenServer. Using this approach I was able to intercept all functions that are explicitly defined in GenServers, such as start, start_link, stop, call, cast, etc. However, I am currently clueless how I would go about intercepting the callbacks such as handle_cast, handle_call, init, etc as these functions are not explicitly defined in GenServers but are usually defined in the user modules themselves.

The ‘ugly’ solution would be to setup the interception for each module that makes use of my GenServerViz. This would include adding import statements, setting up configuration and either annotating or wrapping the relevant functions inside an intercept block. This would be a very cumbersome process on a bigger scale. It would also mean that one cannot easily switch from the regular GenServer to GenServerViz by just changing the use/import statements in existing projects, something I would like to be easily possible.

Any suggestions?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews