thedelchop

thedelchop

Hello,

I’ve been using Wallaby lately and its been fantastic, so big thanks to the entire Wallaby team. In order to mock some 3rd party calls, I followed their docs and setup my own sandbox, so that, as I understand it, when I mock processes in the owner process (the test), those mocks can be shared with the child process (the actual live view process under test), and so far that has worked great.

Here’s a link to those docs, and my setup is identical to the example here with my own specific mocks substituted:

# config/support/sandbox.ex

defmodule YourApp.Sandbox do
  def allow(repo, owner_pid, child_pid) do
    # Delegate to the Ecto sandbox
    Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox.allow(repo, owner_pid, child_pid)

    # Add custom process-sharing configuration
    Mox.allow(MyMock, owner_pid, child_pid)
  end
end

However, I’ve recently nested a Live View within one of my live views, using live_render, and that breaks some of my tests. I am fairly confident that this is because the nested live view process hasn’t explicitly been granted access to the mock like the parent live view process has been.

I’m wondering if its possible to correct this issue without resorting to globally available mox, but sadly I don’t think so, because if I understand this correctly, when the Sandbox code is executed the child processes don’t even exist as of yet, so I have no pid which to allow.

Does anyone have any other strategies to handle this kind of problem, or is the best bet just running the test synchronously so that I can make the mock I define globally available.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

Neophen

Neophen

Did you have any luck fixing this?

jack456jokky

jack456jokky

Hello,

It’s great to hear it’s been working well for you. You’re right about the nesting of Live Views complicating the mock sharing. One approach you might consider is using a dynamic approach to grant permissions to nested Live Views.

You could leverage a :supervisor to manage the child processes and dynamically allow access to mocks during their initialization. This way, when you render the nested Live View, it can request access to the mocks from the parent’s context.

Alternatively, if it’s feasible, running your tests synchronously to ensure the mocks are globally accessible might simplify things. I’d be curious to hear how others are handling similar issues, especially with maintaining clean tests without relying on global mocks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews