simonelnahas
Coming from Clojure, Haskell, and Ocaml I’m very happy about using let for variable scoping.
I have then started using with for this in Elixir, even though the documentation suggests using it to combine case clauses.
with a <- Map.fetch(m, :apple) do
# code using a
end
(let [a (:apple m)]
# code using a
)
What do you think?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
If your goal is to reduce the scope of variables then yes,
withwill work okay for it. Personally I’m not sure I see the value though. Any specific goal or use case that you have in mind?benwilson512
What does “let” do if the map does not have that key?
bunnylushington
Apparently it’s true: you can write Fortran in any language!
I don’t see the point. Overloading
with(not Elixir’s most obvious construct) with additional semantics seems like a maintenance issue waiting to happen. I also think there’s lossage in an instance like:I would really want that to crash (using faux
letsemantics anyway). Wrapping it up inwithhides the problem.simonelnahas
@dimitarvp
Basically the same as
letin Clojure, to assign a variable that can only be used within the scope. It may sound rudimentary for people used to Elixir, but they greatly reduces mistakes due to scope pollution in my opinion.@benwilson512
No error handling as is the case with
with.@bunnylushington
No overloading is needed, this already works.
dimitarvp
I don’t disagree on the premise but let’s not act like code is a cat that just runs off and does random villainy all over the place by itself. If you access a variable 20 lines below that you really shouldn’t then you IMO have much bigger problems – like not knowing what your own code is doing (maybe you inherited it?) and you should add a lot of tests. Ideally, also reduce the line count of your functions by extracting parts.
I’m no stranger to enforcing policies regardless of whether they seem best-suited for the situation. Do what you feel is right but do your best to write idiomatic and readable Elixir.
simonelnahas
Interestingly in Clojure (and other Lisp), it is actually only possible to do variable assignment inside a
letexpression. Although it seems quite limiting at first I find it improves the code quality in the endbunnylushington
I think that’s not true. In CL you have
defvaranddefparameter(and plain oldsetf) for variable assignment. Emacs lisp addsdefcustomto that list. I’m not that knowledgable about Clojure but I thoughtdefwas available for global variables? The use ofletis necessary to declare a local variable that may shadow a global; this isn’t required in Elixir.It might be that I write my lisp wrong but nearly always my functions look like
which if you squint a little (and make that a
let*) is what an Elixir function looks like, modulo the keyword.shishini
You can define a function inside let in clojure, just use the anonymous function syntax
(clojure code below )
sodapopcan
I think it really just comes down to idioms. I know
letfrom haskell/clojure (not that I use any of those languages extensively or even at all beyond toy stuff) but not having it in Elixir, which I at least read every day, has not ever not even once ever been any kind of problem. Can you give an example of where it would prevent a bug? Otherwise, usingwithdenotes some kind of side-effect or procedure is about to take place which is a nice readability (really scannability) hint. Overloading it for variable scoping muddies this.harrisi
If you only need
ain the with, it seems this would be better as a function. Instead ofYou could do