greatisgreat
Is there a way to validate the cookie instead of validating authorization header in guardian?
thanks
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
Sure, what have you tried so far?
greatisgreat
I send the cookie from the server using
conn
|> Plug.Conn.put_resp_cookie(“token”,token,http_only: true)
|> Plug.Conn.send_resp(:no_content,“”)
but i get : unauthenticated from Guardian.Plug.EnsureAuthenticated
Is there anything i am missing?
Thanks
jhefreyzz
Have you tried adding Guardian.Plug.VerifyCookie to your
router.expipeline?I’m not sure about this one, but as I’ve understood, that plug fetches token from cookie (correct me if I’m wrong).
If you have a separate server for frontend, please ensure that you’re adding
credentials: 'include'(fetch api) orwithCredentials: true(axios).greatisgreat
Guardian.Plug.VerifyCookie doesnt seem to be working.I get nil trying to get the token using
Guardian.Plug.current_token(conn).
This is the conn
%Plug.Conn{
adapter: {Plug.Cowboy.Conn, :…},
assigns: %{},
before_send: [function<0.93523768/1 in Plug.Telemetry.call/2>],
body_params: %{“folder” => “folder”},
cookies: %{
“token” => “eyJhbGciOiJIUzUxMiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJhdWQiOiJhcGkiLCJleHAiOjE2MjM2ODY0NTcsImlhdCI6MTYyMTI2NzI1NywiaXNzIjoiYXBpIiwianRpIjoiM2U5MWQyYTEtNzU4Yi00MjgwLThjZDgtYmI4NTUzOTMzNDNiIiwibmJmIjoxNjIxMjY3MjU2LCJzdWIiOiJncmVhdGlzZ3JlYXQiLCJ0eXAiOiJhY2Nlc3MifQ.VSCXvWFRna_fao3PSDHdw9hohqgUFShvnv0BnqsInA64dJLY4LmOkJ6QQSMD_nhuw4yu7BjNbTcj8Domt2Uqkw”
},
halted: false,
host: “192.168.1.13”,
method: “POST”,
owner: pid<0.1147.0>,
params: %{“folder” => “folder”},
path_info: [“folder”],
path_params: %{},
port: 4000,
private: %{
ApiWeb.Router => {, %{}},
:guardian_error_handler => Api.UserManager.ErrorHandler,
:guardian_module => Api.UserManager.Guardian,
:phoenix_action => :create,
:phoenix_controller => ApiWeb.FolderController,
:phoenix_endpoint => ApiWeb.Endpoint,
:phoenix_format => “json”,
:phoenix_layout => {ApiWeb.LayoutView, :app},
:phoenix_request_logger => {“request_logger”, “request_logger”},
:phoenix_router => ApiWeb.Router,
:phoenix_view => ApiWeb.FolderView,
:plug_session_fetch => function<1.55231287/1 in Plug.Session.fetch_session/1>
},
query_params: %{},
query_string: “”,
remote_ip: {192, 168, 1, 6},
req_cookies: %{
“token” => “eyJhbGciOiJIUzUxMiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJhdWQiOiJhcGkiLCJleHAiOjE2MjM2ODY0NTcsImlhdCI6MTYyMTI2NzI1NywiaXNzIjoiYXBpIiwianRpIjoiM2U5MWQyYTEtNzU4Yi00MjgwLThjZDgtYmI4NTUzOTMzNDNiIiwibmJmIjoxNjIxMjY3MjU2LCJzdWIiOiJncmVhdGlzZ3JlYXQiLCJ0eXAiOiJhY2Nlc3MifQ.VSCXvWFRna_fao3PSDHdw9hohqgUFShvnv0BnqsInA64dJLY4LmOkJ6QQSMD_nhuw4yu7BjNbTcj8Domt2Uqkw”
},
req_headers: [
{“accept”, “application/json, text/plain, /”},
{“accept-encoding”, “gzip, deflate, br”},
{“accept-language”, “en-IN,en-GB;q=0.9,en-US;q=0.8,en;q=0.7”},
{“connection”, “close”},
{“content-length”, “15”},
{“content-type”, “application/json;charset=UTF-8”},
{“cookie”,
“token=eyJhbGciOiJIUzUxMiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJhdWQiOiJhcGkiLCJleHAiOjE2MjM2ODY0NTcsImlhdCI6MTYyMTI2NzI1NywiaXNzIjoiYXBpIiwianRpIjoiM2U5MWQyYTEtNzU4Yi00MjgwLThjZDgtYmI4NTUzOTMzNDNiIiwibmJmIjoxNjIxMjY3MjU2LCJzdWIiOiJncmVhdGlzZ3JlYXQiLCJ0eXAiOiJhY2Nlc3MifQ.VSCXvWFRna_fao3PSDHdw9hohqgUFShvnv0BnqsInA64dJLY4LmOkJ6QQSMD_nhuw4yu7BjNbTcj8Domt2Uqkw”},
{“dnt”, “1”},
{“host”, “192.168.1.13:4000”},
{“origin”, “http://192.168.1.13:4000”},
{“referer”, “http://localhost:3000/home”},
{“sec-ch-ua”,
“" Not A;Brand";v="99", "Chromium";v="90", "Google Chrome";v="90"”},
{“sec-ch-ua-mobile”, “?0”},
{“sec-fetch-dest”, “empty”},
{“sec-fetch-mode”, “cors”},
{“sec-fetch-site”, “same-origin”},
{“user-agent”,
“Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/90.0.4430.212 Safari/537.36”},
{“x-forwarded-for”, “127.0.0.1”},
{“x-forwarded-host”, “localhost:3000”},
{“x-forwarded-port”, “3000”},
{“x-forwarded-proto”, “http”}
],
request_path: “/folder”,
resp_body: nil,
resp_cookies: %{},
resp_headers: [
{“cache-control”, “max-age=0, private, must-revalidate”},
{“x-request-id”, “Fn_l-w9MvNr4aakAAAXj”}
],
scheme: :http,
script_name: ,
secret_key_base: :…,
state: :unset,
status: nil
}
al2o3cr
I’m not sure if this is the cause of your difficulties, but it’s possible this is causing CORS weirdness since the two hostnames don’t agree.
jhefreyzz
Did you put option to VerifyCookie plug which key your cookie stored (based on the
optionssection of the doc). In your case, should be token.greatisgreat
i tried plug Guardian.Plug.VerifyCookie, key: “token” but it did not fix it
greatisgreat
i am using my phoenix server as the proxy in my react website.But i dont think it is the problem because VerifyHeader works.
greatisgreat
i can get the cookie using conn.req_cookies[“token”] but is there some way i can connect it to Guardian.Plug.EnsureAuthenticated to verify the token.
derek-zhou
According to:
https://github.com/ueberauth/guardian/blob/4512030c4e9d5967a600258d2c2e40328911104c/lib/guardian/plug.ex#L312
and
https://github.com/ueberauth/guardian/blob/4512030c4e9d5967a600258d2c2e40328911104c/lib/guardian/plug/keys.ex#L26
If you want to mimic what Guardian is doing, you need put your token at the cookie key:
guardian_default_token