Athunnea

Athunnea

Hi there!

I have an Ecto Changeset, that uses validate_inclusion against quite a few lists of values (country codes, packaging types, categories, etc). Some of these lists are in the database. Requesting the db from the changeset would be inefficient in case of batch inserts/updates.

I have been preloading these lists and sending to the changeset, so it would be one call to db on each batch of updates/inserts, instead of one per each row. Plus it feels more “pure” in terms of functions.

Now it becomes cumbersome. I’m considering to switch to calls directly from the changeset and using cachex as a proxy.

Current code:

def create_batch(list_of_params) do
   lists_of_values = App.Lists.get_lists()

   Enum.map(list_of_params, fn params ->
      changeset(struct, params, lists_of_values) |> Repo.insert
   end
end

def changeset(struct, params, lists_of_values)
   struct
   ...
   |> validate_inclusion(:field, lists_of_values[:package_codes])
end

Potential refactoring

def create_batch(list_of_params) do
   Enum.map(list_of_params, fn params ->
      changeset(struct, params) |> Repo.insert
   end
end

def changeset(struct, params)
   struct
   ...
   |> validate_inclusion(:field, App.CachedLists.get(:package_codes))
end

I have some concerns about potential downsides. Would appreciate an advice.

  • Keep sending lists of values to changeset
  • Request lists of values directly from changeset
0 voters

Showing Posts 1 to 4

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I voted for your first option because I really don’t understand how it is cumbersome?

Athunnea

Athunnea OP

Why it becomes cumbersome in time:

  1. When multiple functions call the changeset, each of them has to deal with passing these validation lists
  2. When a few functions pass through the values, it’s getting harder to track what’s going on. E.g. import() |> create_batch() |> create() |> changeset(). You see that validation uses an list or map of lists, then you have to track it backwards to get to the origin. Instead of following the direct call to list service with cached values.
  3. It’s more complicated to add new lists because they are kept far away from where they are actually used.
  4. Some lists could have some business logic attached, when some values are available only in certain cases.
  5. In general the changeset function shouldn’t be concerned that some lists are coming as function inputs only for performance reasons.

Does it make sense?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Not really :003: but then again I am not working on the project every day after all.

The only thing I could gleam from your explanation is that you need higher-level functions that compose the lower-level functions and give them some nice descriptive names.

ityonemo

ityonemo

Option 3: refactor into an association?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews