nhpip

nhpip

First of all, don’t ask me why I want to do this :grinning: It was an experiment I was trying. I since decided to do it a different way, but it got me curious.

In the shell (or any other process for that matter), given a string like "time = System.os_time()" I can evaluate it with Code.eval_string("time = System.os_time()") and get back {1628697855326337000, [time: 1628697855326337000]}.

Yes, I know I can copy/paste the thing too, but humor me.

Is there a way I can programmatically inject the variable time into the shell’s variable bindings?

Basically do something like:

iex(1)> MagicModule.magic_function("time = System.os_time()")
1628697855326337000
iex(2)> time
1628697855326337000
iex(3)>

Showing Posts 1 to 1

nhpip

nhpip OP

I found a really hacky way to do it in the shell

command = "foo = :ets.info(:pg2_table)"
send(self(), {:eval, Process.info(self())[:dictionary][:iex_server], command, %IEx.State{}})
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews