RustySnek

RustySnek

:snake: :test_tube: Venomous aims to simplify the concurrent use of erlport Python Ports, focusing on dynamic extensibility such as spawning, reusing, and terminating processes on demand. It also handles unused processes, by killing them once they pass their configured inactive TTL. Venomous core functions ensure that whenever :boom: :EXIT signal appears, the Python process dies without further execution by killing :axe: its OS process (brutally).

This is my first attempt at creating an Elixir library. The idea stemmed from the challenge of properly exiting Python processes. Even after closing the Python port, execution would persist until the end of a function or iteration. My goal is to handle these exits effectively while also enabling process reuse, thus avoiding the constant spawning and stopping of new ones.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :smiling_face:

https://github.com/RustySnek/Venomous/

Showing Posts 1 to 10

RustySnek

RustySnek OP

I’ve released 0.3.0 version of Venomous :snake:

  • fixed many major issues with how python processes were handled which caused zombie processes and weird behaviour.
  • multiple tasks ran on a single SnakeWorker will now stack instead of timing out
  • add option keywords

Changelog: Release v0.3.0 · RustySnek/Venomous · GitHub

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Congrats on your first Elixir library. I like the delicious irony too that pythons aren’t venomous :slight_smile:

RustySnek

RustySnek OP

They must have drank some kind of toxic MIXture :wink:

jackalcooper

jackalcooper

thanks so much! I am using NimblePool to wrap python process running models. Your implementation to manage python process is way more sophisticated than mine so I guess I’m going to use it :growing_heart:

xsteve

xsteve

Thanks for providing that library.
However, I am unsure how to use it.
The documentation shows how to call a single python function.
Would you please explain how the python interpreter is started. How do I import some python modules and declare the function I want to call?

RustySnek

RustySnek OP

Hey so basically as of now, all of the python modules (files) are loaded from PYTHONPATH env variable. So if you put your python modules inside python/ directory you would have to add that directory to PYTHONPATH envvar.

There is also a config for Venomous python processes to load the type encoder/decoder of erlport. I made a quick guide to this here: Quick guide on erlport Python API — Venomous v1.0.0

As for calling mutiple python instances you have to do it yourself for example.

 args = SnakeArgs.from_params(:time, :sleep, [0.1])
    1..100
    |> Enum.map(fn _ ->
      Task.async(fn -> python!(args) end)
    end)
    |> Task.await_many(:infinity)

Here Venomous will spawn as many processes as its allowed to via max_children configuration of SnakeSupervisor up to a 100. If it can’t spawn anymore it will just wait and reuse the already spawned ones once they are done with their tasks.

Feel free to ask if you need any more help. :smiling_face:

xsteve

xsteve

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I understand it now.
Perhaps it would be nice to put the python code “time.sleep(0.1)” also somewhere into the documentation. And also add the needed usage of PYTHONPATH when there is a need to call an own python module (which will be the case most of the time)

RustySnek

RustySnek OP

Yeah I’ll probably extend documentation and add few examples in the next release

RustySnek

RustySnek OP

I’ve released 0.4.0 version of Venomous :test_tube: :snake:

  • Included support for erlport python options. ex. module_paths, python_executable, packet_bytes..
  • Add named processes, separate from the regular SnakeManager ones
  • Fixed issue with lib breaking whenever python process was killed on exception…
  • Quicker exits whenver processes are spammed
  • Include examples in docs

Changelog: Release v0.4.0 · RustySnek/Venomous · GitHub

RustySnek

RustySnek OP

I’ve released 0.5.1 version of Venomous :test_tube: :snake: which adds optional :fire: Hot reloading for python modules.

To enable the hot reloading:

  • Install python watchdog dependancy using mix venomous.watchdog install
  • Enable serpent_watcher in your dev config:
    config :venomous, :serpent_watcher, enable: true
    
  • Add your module paths in snake_manager config:
    config :venomous, :snake_manager, %{
      python_opts: [
        module_paths: ["my_python_modules/", ...]
      ]
    }
    

Now all modules inside the configured module_paths should reload on edit.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews