rogerweb

rogerweb

Hi,

I have a single-tenant application that receives requests from users containing an access token they get from AWS Cognito. I use Joken to verify the token with the help of Joken JWKS hook to fetch the public keys from a URL. The single static URL is is part of my application configuration.

Now the problem: I need to turn my application into multi-tenant, hence it will have to verify tokens from different Cognito’s user pools, which means different JWKS URLs. Instead of only one statically configured URL, each token will bring it in its “iss” claim.

The DefaultStrategyTemplate doesn’t seem to support this dynamic approach, so I’m wondering if there is an alternative or if I’ll have to code it myself. In the latter case, would it be an implementation of the JokenJwks.SignerMatchstrategy behavior or an entire Joken.Hooks?

Regards,

Roger

Showing Posts 1 to 3

olivermt

olivermt

Neither of those.

Assuming you have the same claims in all of them except the issuer you can make a special function like handle_token or something outside the functions the macro gives you (validate_and_verify etc)..

You do need a separate Jwks Strategy for each (key) provider/link but you can re-use the same module (the one where you do use Joken.Config).

In your handle_token you grab token_config() (as provided by the macro Joken.Config), then you add the issuer claim to it based on which issuer it is and then you simply do:

config = token_config() 
# add your issuer to config
Joken.verify_and_validate(config, token, nil, nil, [
         {JokenJwks, strategy: JwksOneOfYourStrategyPickedBasedOnIss}
       ])
     end
rogerweb

rogerweb OP

That’s the tricky part, because the “link” is only known in runtime when verifying the token, derived from the “iss” claim, which follows this pattern:

https://cognito-idp.{region}.amazonaws.com/{userPoolId}/.well-known/jwks.json

where the userPoolId is a “random” string automatically created by Cognito when the user pool is created.

I guess I have two options:

  1. Add the list of all the possible URLs in the application’s runtime configuration and start one DefaultStrategyTemplate process for each one under my application supervisor. This is not ideal because we would be concerned about changes in the user pools in Cognito.

  2. Start DefaultStrategyTemplate process on-demand when verifying a token with an issuer that has no associated process yet. With this approach we wouldn’t need a pre-defined list of URLs but we would have to come up with some housekeeping logic to stop the strategies that are no longer valid or needed.

Is this aligned to what you have thought or I got it wrong?

olivermt

olivermt

I’d go with number two :slight_smile:

Or make my own variant of jwks maybe, using their code but adjusting it for being more on-demand/multiplexed.

I guess spinning it up dynamically based on iss and pruning after X hours/days with housekeeping in a genserver/supervisor is a good way too (your number two basically).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews