sendja
Hello every one. I’m working on a project about Video Compression in the cloud for my master degree graduation and one of my friend introduce me to Elixir, so i came here asking for some hints to accomplish my task.
Looking forward to hear from you and thanks for you time and efforts.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Eiji
Check FFmpex github project.
notriddle
Offload it. You do not want to do video compression in the EVM, and there probably aren’t libraries for it written in Elixir or Erlang anyway.
There are basically three ways to offload stuff:
NFI (native function interface): Since video compression runs can be any length, and NFI should not run for extended periods of time, you’d have to chop it up, making the interface complicated. Also, a badly-behaved video compression routine can crash the entire EVM. I don’t recommend this.
network: Have your Erlang side speak some protocol with a separate server written in another language. That server does the compression.
spawn: Have your Erlang side open a run-to-completion app that does the decoding. This is probably the simplest way: your Erlang side can just fork off an instance of the ffmpeg CLI to do it.
If you want an especially cloud-y way to do it, you could do a hybrid of the network and spawn approaches, and have your Elixir service spawn a Docker container which does the encoding. Using Docker allows each encoding job to be hard-isolated in a similar way to how EVM processes are.
sendja
Thanks I appreciate it.
sendja
Thanks, I’m new with Elixir and EVM so it will take me a little time to understand it and try your solution.
AstonJ
Take a look at this: