sublimecoder

sublimecoder

So I’m having some trouble. Recently my phoenix code stopped reloading, when I would make a change to backend code. So I’ve been having to flip back a forth killing the server and reloading after every change. I’m currently using Vim and Ale for linting, I read a github issue that said this was an issue a couple years ago, not sure if its still an issue but It does go away if I switch to emacs or atom or another editor so it makes me think its most likely the same issue.

I’d like to keep using vim since most of my muscle memory is there, anyone have any work arounds or solutions for this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

Deactivate compile on save or any plugin that does it to lint. Or if you are able to, change them to use different folders than the project folder to temporary save, compile and lint.

You could tell vim to use an :editor MIX_ENV which is equal to :dev but does end up in ./_build/editor/ instead.

Those are the workarounds that I’m aware of. You can use those workarounds for any editor-plugin that compiles on save.

sublimecoder

sublimecoder OP

Thanks, not sure how to do that for Ale. I did confirm it is Ale doing it. I just removed it and the issue cleared itself up. Once I find the settings or another solution I’ll post it here.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

NobbZ

NobbZ

When you start vim as in MIX_ENV=edit vim your-project, does it work?

bigardone

bigardone

Is credo linting working for you with Ale? for the last week it has stopped working, and it doesn’t show any credo issues anymore, and I was wondering if the same was happening to you… :thinking:

sublimecoder

sublimecoder OP

Nope credo isn’t working either. I think it’s related. Because Phoenix doesn’t seem to think the file has changed when I save from Vim. I can live with out credo but restarting phx.server every few minutes is super annoying.

@NobbZ yes it does. Why would setting MIX_ENV=edit fix the issue?

NobbZ

NobbZ

Because you then use a different MIX_ENV, which compiles to ,/_build/edit instead of ./_build/dev, therefore Phoenix.CodeReload can actually compile stuff and realize it changed for dev as well.

sublimecoder

sublimecoder OP

Makes sense. I know I can’t set that in my .zshrc since mix phx.server would pick it up and cause the same issue right? This depends on mix phx.server starting in MIX_ENV=dev and the editor starting it in MIX_ENV=edit right?

NobbZ

NobbZ

Yes, it depends on the editor and phoenix are running in different environments.

Perhaps an alias vim="MIX_ENV=edit vim" would suffice?

sublimecoder

sublimecoder OP

Exactly what I was thinking. You sir are a champion. Thanks for the assistance.

NobbZ

NobbZ

But be warned, this will probably brake when you start a terminal in vim and run phoenix in that :wink:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews