Visual explanation of why we prepend instead of appending

Anybody wondering why it’s a bad idea to append to lists, when using immutable data? I took a crack at explaining it visually on the Hello World Show Live, recorded at DevConf Poland. Check out that section at https://www.youtube.com/embed/c-hdGBDD_9I?start=1792&end=2058 and let me know what you think. I’m intending to make it a much better lightning talk I can do at meetups, conferences, etc. (This one was almost totally unrehearsed due to time constraints.)

(Yes it’s static for a while at the start. Hang on. Had a bit of a momentary snag with the slides later in, but got past it. And no, that’s not me in the preview.)

5 Likes

Update: it’s been a while, so I’ve done this talk a few more times (including for an Elixir remote meetup!), so I’ve made a YouTube playlist of the versions of this talk. See Why We Prepend - YouTube for all of them (so far).

2 Likes

This bit made me chuckle Dave … no muss no fuss…

You should definitely consider doing some online courses/vids - I am sure you would make a great teacher :lol:

1 Like

I’ve actually been considering it. Need to get back to someone who asked me if I’d do one on Mutation Testing, and I’m planning a loooong series on making mead! (See Sum of a Batch: ⏯️ Videos for more on that.)