James_E

James_E

I’m using Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2022 (2) Version 17.5.3, and trying to create a Mix project in it. (In case it matters, I’m using Mix 1.14.3 compiled with Erlang/OTP 25.)

I don’t care whether I use cmake, nmake, msbuild, whatever – I only want to configure my codebase such that VS 2022 on my machine (and the machines of any future collaborators) will call mix for the key operations, to be able to press Ctrl_F5 to call mix run, etc., without hacky workarounds like “just rebind your hotkeys to run globally hard-coded commands”.

I’m new to progamming on Windows, and also new to Elixir. I have intermediate experience with Python programming and packaging on Linux. I tried reading this article, but got a bit lost since I’m not clear on how much of what they’re saying is specific to C-like toolchains or depends on tight couplings between the editor and the codebase that simply aren’t possible with languages the editor wasn’t hard-coded to support.

So, what kind of project metadata file can I create to correctly indicate a Mix project to Visual Studio Enterprise 2022, at least just to support basic tasks like compiling and running?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

James_E

James_E OP

It looks like I only had a trial license for the Enterprise edition. :see_no_evil_monkey:

However, even after downgrading, the problem remains exactly as-described—i.e. (as I initially suspected) this problem is not specific to the Enterprise edition. Could the edit to the title please be reverted?

James_E

James_E OP

To be clear, I would like it if debugger integrations existed (to get those in-line pop-ups “your code stopped right here”, etc.), but even just the simpler use-case of making the “Run” action work properly would be great.

joaoevangelista

joaoevangelista

Not a direct answer to your question but afaik there is no Elixir plugin for Visual Studio (the .NET IDE) however there is a plugin for Visual Studio Code (Lightweight Code Editor) that has all those functions, and it’s free.

D4no0

D4no0

There is absolutely zero integration of elixir with Visual Studio, because of its closed nature and no support on linux, if you want to have some IDE features, then you either will have to use vscode or intellij, or if you are a masochist I think the elixir language server also works on things like vi/vim.

As for debugger, I never needed to use it, even though it works with intellij and elixir-ls plugins, this is mostly because you have immutable types and functions that (mostly) don’t produce side effects without results, also you have access to debug tools natively from elixir.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews