Volunteers for CodeCorps.org, platform for open source projects for social good

Hey folks,

I’m a volunteer for Code Corps. We’re building a place for both technical and non-technical people to build software together for social good. We want to empower and unite volunteers to utilize their strengths on projects that bring about positive change for the future.

We’re in the process of migrating over from an existing Ruby/Rails stack to Elixir/Phoenix, so figured it might be of interest for people looking to dive into a Phoenix project.

If you or someone you know might be interested, you can read more about us, join our Slack, or reach out to me or another volunteer and we’d be more than happy to chat with you about the project.

Thanks!

Oleg

P.S. Sorry that this isn’t an official job, but thought it was the most relevant category! Let me know if there’s a better place to post this.

2 Likes

If you have any suggestions as to where else I might be able to promote CodeCorps, please let me know

Have you contacted your local/nearest Code for America brigade?

P.S. Please put dates on your blog posts; I despise running across
an interesting-sounding post that offers zero clues to whether it was
posted yesterday, last month, last year…

1 Like

Hey Hassan, thanks for the suggestion there! I just saw this in my inbox since a number of us are subscribed to the volunteers@.

I wanted to respond to your point on the blog posts first, even if it’s just a P.S., because I didn’t even think about it until now. We designed/built the blog in a hurry, and I think the lack of dates was due to uncritical thinking on my part that “oh, evergreen content is better.” But especially when a post is technical, it’s super frustrating when you have no idea its relevancy, which usually just hinges on time.

Not posting dates feels like a dark pattern to me, so I opened an issue here. Something that’d be neat, too, if we ever get into deeply technical posts, to post version numbers of the relevant stack. Sticking that in the ever-growing backlog.

As for Code for America, yes! I’m friendly with the group here in San Diego and we’ll be looking to them especially for projects. We also have a group in Chicago working on a project that will be on Code Corps (http://nationalvoterfile.org). Personally I’d rather not have too many people get distracted from projects that already desperately need their help. Instead, would really like us to support those projects by providing a better stream of new talent and finding ways to keep people coming back and contributing.

Are you involved with CfA up in the Bay, by chance?

1 Like

By the way, I should really mention that we’re open to people who are new to Elixir or Phoenix joining us and learning. I’m a month in right now myself and a lot of volunteers have joined us straight out of dev bootcamps. So we are more than happy to help guide you to your first pull request. For example, here’s someone’s first PR ever on our Ember project.

2 Likes

Anyone outside of US can join in on this?

1 Like

Sure, of course! One of us on the team lives in the US and the other in Croatia. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d like to know more, can you fill me in with details? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely :slight_smile:

Join our slack channel and say hello :wave: - we’ll have someone fill you in on all the details

Cheers,
Oleg

How can you join the slack channel if the sign up page requires a email@codecorps account. Signed up in codecorps.org website but I’m not sure about the next step. Fiddling with Elixir on spare time as well. I’d rather contribute to a something that other people might find helpful rather than yet another practice app. :smiley: @CodeCorps

Have you gone to slack.codecorps.org? You can invite yourself from there.

Hey hi Josh, is this still open?

1 Like

Hey @hec, yes! This is an active project so lots happening regularly.