chrisjowen

chrisjowen

Hey guys and gals, so I have for better or worse (probably worse) had to move away from elixir and over to kotlin for the last few months.

Recently I’m back on personal projects using elixir and the one thing I forgot was how much better the idea support was for typed languages.

I love elixir-ls but some things I’m really missing are things like the ability to auto add imports and some basic refactoring.

Does anyone know if any of the vs plugins support any of

  • auto indent code
  • auto import for alias/using/require declarations
  • auto create module with name based on folder path
  • extract method

I understand that but been typed, and with the macro system this wouldn’t be perfect but I feel like this might be possible 80% of the time.

If nothing exists like this where would you recommend trying to add this? A new plugin or try to add to elixir-ls?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

RudManusachi

RudManusachi

  • auto indent code

In VC Code with elixir-ls you can set setting

"[elixir]": {
  "editor.formatOnSave": true,
  "editor.defaultFormatter": "JakeBecker.elixir-ls"
}

and on save it will not only fix indentation, but also format all the code in the file with standard mix format.

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

I’m pretty sure that nothing exists for the last three. Although creating the module name based on the file path should be fairly easy to do.

lukaszsamson

lukaszsamson

ElixirLS Core Team

While it’s not possible to have the kind of IDE support that static typed languages have but a lot can be done. The language server protocol has support for code actions and some could be added. Of course ElixirLS team would be happy to accept contributions.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews