rlipscombe

rlipscombe

The VS Code Elixir extension keeps reporting “Building core Dialyzer Elixir PLT. This will take a few minutes…”, and it keeps restarting.

If I look in the “Problems” tab in VS Code, it says “could not make directory (with -p) “/.mix”: permission denied.”

Why is it attempting to write to /? How can I fix it?

It also occasionally asks about installing rebar3, which is already installed. I’m assuming it’s failing for the same reason.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

asincrono

asincrono

which extensions?
ElixirLS has the option: “Project Dir: ubdirectory containing Mix project if not in the project root
Value must be 1 or more characters long.”.
(I had “.” in that field, had to left it blank or the extension didn’t work.)
Maybe your problem has something to do with that.

NobbZ

NobbZ

It seems that whatever starts the LS, and therefore the LS and everything it starts, has a malformed view on one of these system variables:

  • XDG_CONFIG_HOME or XDG_DATA_HOME
  • MIX_HOME
  • HOME

When you run eg mix archive.install hex phx_new from a terminal, what does happen then? In that same terminal, what are the values of these environment variable mentioned above?

rlipscombe

rlipscombe OP

It’s blank.

rlipscombe

rlipscombe OP

Works fine.

NobbZ

NobbZ

How do you start vscode?

rlipscombe

rlipscombe OP

By running code . in the terminal from within the relevant directory. I should note that this has been working fine until fairly recently.

The same problem occurs in more than one folder, incidentally. In the first, I’m using direnv and kiex to manage Elixir; in the second, it’s the system default (1.10.2).

Looking at the stack trace, it’s failing here: elixir-ls/apps/language_server/lib/language_server/dialyzer/manifest.ex at 1256038da37b2581dadb0f15c51d9cff590034ee · elixir-lsp/elixir-ls · GitHub

Which suggests that Mix.Utils.mix_home() is returning an invalid value. But if I run iex -S mix in the VS Code terminal, that function returns /home/roger/.mix, as expected.

rlipscombe

rlipscombe OP

$ code --list-extensions
amazonwebservices.aws-toolkit-vscode
arichika.previewseqdiag-vscode
benvp.vscode-hex-pm-intellisense
Blodwynn.featurehighlight
bungcip.better-toml
chrislajoie.vscode-modelines
CoenraadS.bracket-pair-colorizer
dberezin.lox-language
EFanZh.graphviz-preview
electricimp.vscode-electricimp
JakeBecker.elixir-ls
jnbt.vscode-rufo
joaompinto.asciidoctor-vscode
mathiasfrohlich.Kotlin
ms-azuretools.vscode-docker
ms-dotnettools.csharp
ms-kubernetes-tools.vscode-kubernetes-tools
ms-python.python
ms-vscode-remote.remote-containers
ms-vscode-remote.remote-ssh
ms-vscode-remote.remote-ssh-edit
ms-vscode-remote.remote-ssh-explorer
ms-vscode.cpptools
ms-vscode.Go
ms-vscode.wordcount
ms-vsliveshare.vsliveshare
mscgenjs.vscode-mscgen
pgourlain.erlang
rebornix.ruby
redhat.vscode-yaml
rust-lang.rust
serayuzgur.crates
stkb.rewrap
TomiTurtiainen.rf-intellisense
vadimcn.vscode-lldb
vscode-icons-team.vscode-icons
wingrunr21.vscode-ruby
zxh404.vscode-proto3
rlipscombe

rlipscombe OP

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the ElixirLS extension and it’s still doing it.

andreolvr

andreolvr

Seems like you are using the original ElixirLS extension, which is not receiving updates anymore. I don’t know if this will solve your problem, but take a look at ElixirLS Fork.

rlipscombe

rlipscombe OP

As far as I understand it, the new fork uses the same extension ID, as of quite recently.

It doesn’t. I tried a git clone of that extension directly, and filed Repeatedly fails to build core Dialyzer Elixir PLT · Issue #85 · elixir-lsp/vscode-elixir-ls · GitHub

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews