popo63301
Hello !
I would like to prevent automatic parentheses while coding in Elixir in VSCode.
I can’t see where to configure that.
Any suggestions ?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
cmo
The elixir formatter doesn’t have much in the way of options. The idea is that you accept how it is and move on with your life, free from worrying about formatting.
There are libraries, ecto, phoenix etc, that tell it not to add them to some macros, which you need to add to
formatter.exs.If you’re just talking about it creating the second bracket, look in the VS Code settings.
adamu
The good news is, that’s one of the few customisable options.
The bad news is, you have to specify every function name and arity where you don’t want it to automatically add the parenthesis.
Check out the
mix formatandCode.format_format_string/2docs. You’re looking for:locals_without_parens.See Plug for an example.
opsb
I’ve also had this issue. The config is in formatter.exs and running
mix formatworks as expected. In vscode though it only works intermittently, the rest of the time it will start adding brackets in again.BartOtten
Is this about them being added ‘on format’ or during typing? The latter seems like an option which is editor specific….
popo63301
I have to precise. It’s annoying for 2 particular situations:
Macros like
addandfield(in Ecto Migrations and Schemas)cmo
Have you got the
inpit_depsset in.formatter.exs? Theectosetting should stop that. However, as someone pointed out, it will randomly screw it up every now and then. You have git to save you in those instances.Ivor
I just ran into this issue and found this thread. Then I added and removed a
depand rearranged the order and then the parentheses went away when I saved. In my case this was for thepropdeclaration in surface.Not sure if this was just luck or whether it helped. Can’t reproduce it now because problem is fixed and the parentheses are being removed. Hopefully this helps someone else test it in the future.
fteschke
I experienced the same issue.
Similar to @Ivor, resetting the dependencies helped me.
rm mix.lock; rm -rf _build; rm -rf deps; mix deps.getBefore: Parantheses added by
mix format, e.g. to ectofieldmacro.After: Parantheses no longer added.
I did not test if all the steps were necessary, or if a single one of them might have helped.
greven
This is a bug with ElixirLS and it’s a trick one, it has to do with race conditions.
It’s being tracked here: Formatter doesn't respect formatter.exs while your code is still compiling · Issue #526 · elixir-lsp/elixir-ls · GitHub
rorscharg
Runing
MIX_ENV=test mix compile --forceand restarting VSCode seems to fix it for me.