Terbium-135
Is there a way to fold/unfold all occurrences of
@doc"""
[...]
"""
within a module at once (using a command or assigned keystroke) in VSCode?
Was talking to a colleague and have no idea where to look/ask at all.
Guess its part of language aware folding
Are there other editors which support this?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
sodapopcan
Vim certainly does and is actually on my list to write one for this very purpose. I have not done so yet but if you’re interested I’ll share here when done. Otherwise see
:help fold-exprif you’re curious.billylanchantin
⌘K ⌘2will do it for@docin VSCode on MacOS.The number indicates the level of indentation you want to fold. So
⌘K ⌘1would fold the top-leveldefmodule,⌘K ⌘2folds all the 2nd level indented regions like@docanddef,⌘K ⌘3would fold all the highest-regions inside eachdef, etc.Note: the default is that the command won’t fold the region where your cursor is. So if you’re trying to fold a particular
@doc, make sure your cursor is outside it.billylanchantin
Oh and
⌘K ⌘Junfolds everything.Terbium-135
Thank you both for the hints!
We are using indentation level wise folding already as well as #region folding.
Expression level folding would be nice - either for VSCode or for Zed (which I am evaluating right now)
Main reason is to just fold all
@docand keep the def open. Reason is to lower distraction if not working on the documentation.One might argue why not folding all with
ctrl-Kctrl-2and unfold the procedure which being worked on.The other way around is (just?) QoL.
Best regards
Note: Zed is available for windows since a few days. With the VSCode key layout it’s a tempting replacement. It is still lacking some functionality and stability.
And yes (I even remember the Atom editor…)
billylanchantin
Ah gotcha, you want to fold only comments. Then you want:
Fold All Block Comments:
⌘K ⌘/This will fold all block comments.
@docand@moduledocall considered:commentregions by the LSP.Note: you can also fold/unfold the current region your cursor is on with:
⌥ ⌘ [(fold),⌥ ⌘ ](unfold).Here’s some decent documentation if you want to see more:
BartOtten
Sure it’s not Emacs?
Terbium-135
Fold All Block Commentsnever worked in VSCode using Lexical here. Not sure which to blame (likely myself)I will give it another try very soon
billylanchantin
That’s the problem. So sorry I didn’t think to check. Language aware code-folding is only implemented right now in ElixirLS:
https://github.com/elixir-lsp/elixir-ls/pull/492
So you have to use ElixirLS as your LSP instead of Lexical to get the language aware folding.
Reminder: it’s generally the language server protocol (LSP) that implements features like code folding, not specific editors. That’s basically the point of LSPs: each editor just implements the protocol. That way communities don’t need to write a new language server per editor. So switching to Zed or Atom won’t fix your problem (unless of course that editor happens to implement its own LS for the language in question, but that’s not usually the case).
Terbium-135
Thanks for your explanation. Appreciate the link to a PR for ElixirLS.
Looking forward to see this implemented in Expert one day