Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I have an umbrella app where I am making a build for windows using bakeware:
https://github.com/bake-bake-bake/bakeware

I have followed the normal setup for windows:

choco install -y zstandard make mingw

I have installed elixir and erlang otp via their official website installers:

Problem

I am able to run and do everything normally, but my VSCode marks my mix.exs file as a huge red error blob:

an exception was raised:
    ** (Mix.Error) Could not compile with "make" (exit status: 2).

        (mix 1.13.1) lib/mix.ex:515: Mix.raise/2
        (elixir_make 0.6.3) lib/mix/tasks/compile.make.ex:154: Mix.Tasks.Compile.ElixirMake.run/1
        (mix 1.13.1) lib/mix/task.ex:397: anonymous fn/3 in Mix.Task.run_task/3
        (mix 1.13.1) lib/mix/tasks/compile.all.ex:92: Mix.Tasks.Compile.All.run_compiler/2
        (mix 1.13.1) lib/mix/tasks/compile.all.ex:72: Mix.Tasks.Compile.All.compile/4
        (mix 1.13.1) lib/mix/tasks/compile.all.ex:59: Mix.Tasks.Compile.All.with_logger_app/2
        (mix 1.13.1) lib/mix/tasks/compile.all.ex:36: Mix.Tasks.Compile.All.run/1
        (mix 1.13.1) lib/mix/task.ex:397: anonymous fn/3 in Mix.Task.run_task/3ElixirLS

Question

In Bakeware’s page there is a section:

Change the default MAKE environment variable used by elixir_make from nmake to make (set it permanently to get rid of the errors in VSCode)

  • But how do I do this?
  • Is something wrong with my VSCode setup?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

What extension are you using? You’ve tagged vscode-elixir which is not maintained and hasn’t been updated since 2017. If you use ElixirLS then you can set arbitrary environment variables if you’re using the latest version. Here’s the PR that exposed it in the VSCode extension add setting for environment variables by vacarsu · Pull Request #213 · elixir-lsp/vscode-elixir-ls · GitHub

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

@axelson My bad, you are correct I am using ElixirLS.
In order to try and fix it I have read this file on how to have a proper mix.exs file setup for make:

And I ended up with the following:

defmodule MarketManager.MixProject do
  use Mix.Project

  def project, do:
    [
      apps_path: "apps",
      version: "0.1.0",
      make_executable: "make",
      start_permanent: Mix.env() == :prod,
      deps: deps(),
      releases: releases()
    ]

  defp deps, do:
    [
      {:bakeware, "~> 0.2.2"}
    ]


  defp releases, do:
    [
      desktop: [
        steps: [:assemble, &Bakeware.assemble/1],
        applications: [
          web_interface: :permanent,
          runtime_tools: :permanent
        ],
        include_executables_for: [:windows]
      ]
    ]

end

I have also set a Windows System Env Var:

MAKE: C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin\make.exe

I have also searched in ElixirLs’s settings page in VSCode and I was not able to find anything that would allow me to take advantage of the new PR (aka, no section called “define env vars”). I am sure I missed it:

Aside from a couple settings on the top regarding dialyzer, I found nothing.

The error still persists (albeit in a different form), I am not sure why…

    ** (Mix.Error) Could not compile with "C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin\make.exe" (exit status: 2).

        (mix 1.13.1) lib/mix.ex:515: Mix.raise/2
        (elixir_make 0.6.3) lib/mix/tasks/compile.make.ex:154: Mix.Tasks.Compile.ElixirMake.run/1
        (mix 1.13.1) lib/mix/task.ex:397: anonymous fn/3 in Mix.Task.run_task/3
        (mix 1.13.1) lib/mix/tasks/compile.all.ex:92: Mix.Tasks.Compile.All.run_compiler/2
        (mix 1.13.1) lib/mix/tasks/compile.all.ex:72: Mix.Tasks.Compile.All.compile/4
        (mix 1.13.1) lib/mix/tasks/compile.all.ex:59: Mix.Tasks.Compile.All.with_logger_app/2
        (mix 1.13.1) lib/mix/tasks/compile.all.ex:36: Mix.Tasks.Compile.All.run/1
        (mix 1.13.1) lib/mix/task.ex:397: anonymous fn/3 in Mix.Task.run_task/3ElixirLS```
Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

I was able to somehow fix the issue.
Bakeware, the dependency, really likes Powershell. But not any powershell. A powershell with admin rights.
To get rid of the warning one must perform the following steps while VSCode is closed:

  1. Open Windows Powershell in admin mode
  2. set $env:CC="gcc"
  3. set $env:MAKE="make"
  4. set MIX_ENV to something. It doesnt have to be prod, but since powershell does not set this value by default, you have to manually set it yourself. Before running tests, fetching dependencies or anything.
  5. mix deps.get

After this, if you still get the red wall of death, trying deleting your .elixir_ls folder to force to go again.
Then open VSCode with code .

Hope it works for you, it did for me.
Trying this with any other terminal will result in seeing the red wall of death. According to my experiments, powershell is the only that works.

cmo

cmo

In my experience, you don’t need to use PowerShell, nor do you require it to be an administrative shell. You do however need to set those environment variables, which I’m sure I added to the readme. Setting MAKE with the $env command won’t last, so do it through the Windows UI (press Windows key and type ‘env’ and the shortcurt should show up) to keep VSCode happy.

Fun fact, you can also use zig as your c compiler with CC=zig cc.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews