VSCode vs. TextMate 2?

Hey everyone,

I’ve seen a fair bit of gushing over VSCode lately. I currently use TextMate 2 and I’m wondering what VSCode offers that TextMate doesn’t. Is it worth making the switch?

Does VSCode still require an internet connection? When I installed it a while ago littlesnitch reported it was trying to connect to the web, denied the request and it didn’t even start up. So thought forget that :lol:

1 Like

I never had any problems, even when offline in the park. It does check for updates of itself and plugins virtually constantly though…

5 Likes

VScode runs on Linux and windows as well, so it might be easier to convince your boss to allow it’s installation on your office box to use the same tools as you do at home.

5 Likes

GitHub - JakeBecker/vscode-elixir-ls: Elixir language support and debugger for VS Code, powered by ElixirLS. This, 'nuff said :wink:

7 Likes

I recently switched from Vim and Sublime Text to Visual Studio Code, and I haven’t looked back once. As @sztosz mentioned, the advent of Elixir LS makes VS Code a wonderful Elixir editor.

5 Likes

Having dialyzer running in real time giving feedback on probable errors is awesome!

2 Likes

Elixir LS also works really nicely with Vim.

6 Likes

The newest feature; codelens for dialyzer’s inferred @specs doesn’t work for vim/neovim as far as I know(?). With that said my daily driver for Elixir development is neovim with ElixirLS.

4 Likes

Indeed! ElixirLS works nicely!

1 Like

And VSCode gives the same experience no matter which platform.

4 Likes

A nice thing about vscode is the integration of nvim. You can get a full ide with the full vim edition capabilities.

2 Likes

Is the full nvim integration working now in vscode? Last time I tried nvim was only used for ex-mode commands.

1 Like

I switch from nvim to vscode with the nvim integration without any major caveats. Normal, visual, insert modes work as expected. For command mode, I feel it a little bit annoying that the command line is clutter in the middle of other info but it works correctly.

That said, I don’t use very advanced stuff in vscode (like macros, mass modifications of files via bufdo as things like this). When doing text only complex and advanced things, I still use nvim/gvim by reflex.

codelens does indeed not work in neovim. I’ve created an issue for it: https://github.com/autozimu/LanguageClient-neovim/issues/622

Same question as OP but sub Atom for TextMate 2.

What is codelens?

Atom with vim-mode-plus, ex-mode, and language-elixir has been doing me well.

It seems there is ElixirLS for Atom too…

I wonder if Atom is going to go the way of the dodo now that MS own’s Github.

1 Like