ariandanim

ariandanim

heres my code

iex(46)> rt = 10
10
iex(47)> if true do
…(47)> rt = rt * 10
…(47)> end
warning: variable “rt” is unused (there is a variable with the same name in the context, use the pin operator (^) to match on it or prefix this variable with underscore if it is not meant to be used)
iex:48

100
iex(48)> rt = 10
10
iex(49)> if true do
…(49)> ^rt = rt * 10
…(49)> end
** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: 100
(stdlib 5.1.1) erl_eval.erl:498: :erl_eval.expr/6
iex:50: (file)
iex(49)> rt = 10
10
iex(50)> if true do
…(50)> rt = ^rt * 10
…(50)> end
error: misplaced operator ^rt

The pin operator ^ is supported only inside matches or inside custom macros. Make sure you are inside a match or all necessary macros have been required
iex:51

** (CompileError) cannot compile code (errors have been logged)

iex(50)> ^rt = 10
10
iex(51)> if true do
…(51)> ^rt = rt * 10
…(51)> end
** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: 100
(stdlib 5.1.1) erl_eval.erl:498: :erl_eval.expr/6
iex:52: (file)
iex(51)> ^rt = 10
10
iex(52)> if true do
…(52)> ^rt = ^rt * 10
…(52)> end
error: misplaced operator ^rt

The pin operator ^ is supported only inside matches or inside custom macros. Make sure you are inside a match or all necessary macros have been required
iex:53

** (CompileError) cannot compile code (errors have been logged)

iex(52)> ^rt = 10
10
iex(53)> if true do
…(53)> rt = rt * 10
…(53)> end
warning: variable “rt” is unused (there is a variable with the same name in the context, use the pin operator (^) to match on it or prefix this variable with underscore if it is not meant to be used)
iex:54

100
iex(54)>

there are warning when make variable that exist, does it ok show warning that? i am using elixir 1.15.7

Showing Posts 1 to 1

hlx

hlx

I think what you are trying to do is this:

iex> rt = 10
10

iex> rt = if true do
...>  rt * 10
...> end
100

Take a look at case, cond, and if — Elixir v1.16.3 > “This is also a good opportunity to talk about variable scoping in Elixir.”

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews