SirWerto

SirWerto

Good morning,
I’m using the :gen_statem erlang behaviour for modeling a process and the compiler is throwing me some warnings about bad implementations behaviours

This is the module definition

defmodule Collector.Plubio do
  @behaviour :gen_statem

I am doing the calls like that

  @spec state?() :: {:ok, :waiting | :collecting} | {:error, :timeout}
  def state?() do
    try do
      case :gen_statem.call(Collector.Plubio, :current_state, 5000) do
	:waiting -> {:ok, :waiting}
	:collecting -> {:ok, :collecting}
      end
    rescue
      RuntimeError -> {:error, :timeout}
    end
  end

And the :gen_statem.state_name/3 are like this

  @impl true
  def waiting({:call, from}, :current_state, state) do
    {:next_state, :waiting, state, {:reply, from, :waiting}}
  end

But the compiler still showing me these warnings

warning: got "@impl true" for function waiting/3 but this behaviour does not specify such callback. The known callbacks are:

  * :gen_statem.callback_mode/0 (function)
  * :gen_statem.code_change/4 (function)
  * :gen_statem.format_status/2 (function)
  * :gen_statem.handle_event/4 (function)
  * :gen_statem.init/1 (function)
  * :gen_statem.state_name/3 (function)
  * :gen_statem.terminate/3 (function)

It is my first time calling directly and erlang behaviour so probably I am forgetting something, does someone knows how to fix that?
Thank you so much:)

Showing Posts 1 to 4

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

The error is about…

… maybe remove this?

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

To add to @kokolegorille’s reply, :gen_statem only has a handful of static callbacks. The other callbacks are dynamic, based on your code, and those do not get a @impl true.

SirWerto

SirWerto OP

yes, this fix the warning, thank you:).

But, what does the compiler expect about a :gen_statem.state_name/3 callback?
Shouldn’t we mention that callback?

SirWerto

SirWerto OP

thanks for the explanation.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews