We’ve just launched Devtalk - a new discussion platform for developers!

Congrats on the launch!

The only feedback I would give at this stage is that I think the user avatar (showing logged in state) and the hamburger menu next to it should be available at all times (even when not inside a specific topic or chat).

5 Likes

After reading the comments, I understood that DevTalk is a portal where anybody can catchup with a language/framework 's progress. And that progress is demarcated by week, month and year.

We’ll also be running monthly Spotlights (followed by AMA’s) on book authors, prominent people in the industry as well as Devtalk members, and something that might please many of you looking for meaningful statistics on language popularity; we’ll be tracking portal usage and publishing our findings. We’re excited to see the results of this in terms of Elixir compared to other languages!

Why not host AMA in this forum or reddit? And I was hoping to see the statistics for this forum.

3 Likes

I would also like that, though that might require making the homepage just be another slug on the forum (which is designed to be expanded like that so it’s possible, just a bit of work).

2 Likes

Thanks Dusty!

I posted a Devtalk Wishlist thread in the Feedback section :003: please add your thoughts there :023:

Pretty much yes. Tho we will be doing other stuff too, such as automatically cross-posting discussions here when they are about Elixir :smiley:

We did actually plan to do something similar here and even had Robert Virding and Joe Armstrong pencilled in to kick them off with… however because I wanted to get the questions spot on it took longer than expected and unfortunately Joe passed away before I could get them to him :cry: (I wish Joe was still alive, I reckon he would have really liked Devtalk.)

The reason for doing them on Devtalk is they have potentially greater reach since it is a multi-language platform :smiley:

4 Likes

I need a dark mode for my sensitive eyes :’(

2 Likes

There is a dark mode on devtalk! Click on the menu button and then at the bottom there is a ‘theme selector’ which includes light, dark and OLED-black themes.

4 Likes

Further to what @Qqwy said we also have a Retina variation of each theme - for those with HiDPI monitors :003:

GitHub & Twitter Auth

Just a quick note to say these should be working now :023:

2 Likes

Where is that menu button?

Also changing style on forum, does not change style on front page.

And third question, what’s the difference between retina or not retina styles? I don’t see any difference, but I’m not sure if I should see any.

2 Likes

Currently alt-themes are only available on the forum (via the hamburger menu), but once Devtalk is out of beta, we will look into doing the same for the rest of the site :smiley:

These will be noticeable mostly on a HiDPI screen (such as the Retina monitors that ship with most modern Macs) - we use a lighter font-weight, thinner lines etc :smiley: (You probably also need to be logged in, as you see different font weights depending on read/unread threads etc)

2 Likes

It is the hamburger-style icon (“three horizontal bars”) at the top right of the page.

2 Likes

I’ve got 27" 4K monitors. When I got same page side by side, one with retina second without, the only difference I see is actually thicker post borders on retina style, and actually missing bottom border of the post. Non retina ones are definitely better looking.

2 Likes

If you are using a HD display at native resolution then it is not giving you HiDPI. HiDPI/Retina is when the resolution is scaled - usually down by around half.

Have a look at this thread on DT about it:

1 Like

Clipboard01
So, If I understand correctly I’m using HiDPI… Anyway just wanted to let you know, devtalk is totally not for me, I’m 100% against this kind of consolidation*, just wanted to report something that seemed totally strange for me.

*This leads to monopolies like Google or Facebook, which are inherently bad for the users. But It’s just a digression I won’t discuss.

2 Likes

No problem. We know it won’t be to everyone’s tastes, just like this forum won’t be to everyone’s tastes. Thankfully the internet is big enough to accommodate pretty much everyone of every taste and preference :smiley:

4 Likes

I didn’t see those bad for the users, but for the developers. If Google decides tomorrow to make a version of my app, my business is dead (and my life) :confused:
Definitely against those monopolies and don’t want to support a future one.

2 Likes

Those themes are likely distinguishable only on Mac displays, I’d think.

2 Likes

No, they are not. Like I wrote, I see difference on Windows and Linux, but I needed to put them side by side on my monitors (both are the same model with same resolution and scaling). Retina styles have thicker post borders (which seems strange to me), and yesterday on Windows retina one, had missing bottom border in comparison to the not retina one (which I believe was/is some kind of bug), but when I checked it now on Linux the border is back. That’s all.

1 Like

We use 0.5 for retina borders which not all browsers support - so for Chrome we use a workaround using box shadow :smiley:

I remember there was an issue with the bottom border missing but I thought we fixed that - which brower/OS/theme is that showing for you?

1 Like

The borders are different both on FX and Brave, but bottom one was missing on latests FX (78.0b5) on Windows, though I did not check it on other browsers.

2 Likes

@AstonJ I tried making a post in the swift category but when I hit Create Topic I get the error:
"Please select a sub-category (eg News, Chat, Questions, Blog Posts, etc) "

Not sure what I do next.

https://forum.devtalk.com/c/backend-developer-forum?tags=swift

1 Like