pdgonzalez872

pdgonzalez872

I have a project idea and would love to ask your general opinion:

Long story short, I want to gather data (aka spy) on my grandma. :slight_smile:

My grandma (nana from now on) and I are very close. She is basically my mom.

I’d like to potentially use Nerves, or any other technology that already
exists, to finish this project. I don’t need to use Nerves, but I think the
folks here are the best and could maybe give insight on the problem itself. I’d
love if Nerves were the answer for this, even if clunky.

My MVP would be something that can email/push data to a server where I can
monitor. The end result is a csv with nana data that gets stored somewhere. I’m
interested in common data points that wearables can track these days and I’d
settle for a daily step count as the MVP. Heart rate as a stretch goal. After
doing quite a bit of research on existing tech (and unfortunately coming up
short) I wanted to reach out here and see what you all think about this.

Why the existing stuff doesn’t apply, as far as I can tell:

  • The existing workflow for wearables is having a smartphone to interface with
    the device and sync the data to the phone. This is done by an app. The one I
    have experience with is called VeryFitPro. You can’t push the data anywhere from that app.

  • I bought this device: Amazon.com, and went through the normal
    workflow. The data is displayed, but it is kept on the device itself. There
    is no server that stores this data, no website to visit, at least in the
    cheap version I bought.

  • The ones that do provide the “upload data” functionality have software that
    help with the upload and manages data. this step is manual. I’d like it to be kind of a cron job
    that pushes today’s activity up somewhere.

  • I don’t feel comfortable having nana wear a very expensive device on a daily
    basis for safety concerns. So the ideal solution would be something cheaper,
    that doesn’t get everyone’s attention.

I’d love to gather data on her activity. I could use it to try to correlate
physical activity with potential arthritis/physical pain. Maybe things hurt a couple of
days after she over exerts herself. Maybe, it doesn’t have anything to do with
effort.

I’ve been keeping track of her Duolingo progress and it has been awesome.
Duolingo sends reports via email, my email :).

Does this make sense? Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!!!

PD

  • Disclaimer: Nana data will only be used for good things. We are doing this
    together and she is happy about it :).

Showing Posts 1 to 4

ConnorRigby

ConnorRigby

Nerves Core Team

So assuming the device needs to be battery powered, you might be better off with an Arduino or similar solution. I’ve not tried it recently, but powering even the puny rpi0w via battery power was surprisingly difficult to get any longevity. The Beam isn’t exactly optimized for low power consumption

tmecklem

tmecklem

Echoing @ConnorRigby here:

There was design work on a pHAT that has a real time clock and the ability to completely power the Pi down and power it back on at intervals with access to the power/timing via GPIO. With that approach, having intermittent data collection would be reasonable on battery. Without something like that, power management is tricky and inefficient on the Pi (even the zero). I believe that design stalled due to other alternatives and lack of interest, but I could inquire if you’re interested in moving forward with an Elixir wearable. I can also share some of my own perspective with the OpenAPS rigs if you’d like, but it’s a little more information than would be useful in a discussion like this. There’s a hardware-dev gitter chat for OpenAPS that could be relevant for wearable tiny computers that collect data: https://gitter.im/openaps/hardware-dev.

An Arduino/microcontroller approach seems like it would be better for data collection, and Adafruit has lots of wearable tutorials and content.

Alternatively, using an Edison might be more in line with your needs if you want to run Elixir on a wearable since its design sips power compared to Pi, but it’s closer to the expensive side that you want to avoid.

ConnorRigby

ConnorRigby

Nerves Core Team

Also for what it’s worth the beaglebone type boards are supposedly more low power friendly, although I have zero experience using them.

pdgonzalez872

pdgonzalez872 OP

Hey! I wanted to update you on this. After doing a little bit more research, it turns out that Fitbit has an api that I can query and get the data I wanted. From what I see, there isn’t a cheaper alternative than the Fitbit at the moment. Maybe their price has this service built into it, which is completely fine.

I built a little app that emails me with data I wanted, currently reporting on my wife. When I see Nana next I’ll “deploy” the live version :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help!! (I wish I could “close” this)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews