CareCar is looking for a Web Backend Engineer to help build and scale the software powering our care services platform. This position is ideal for someone with some prior experience building web backend systems and API’s on various tech stacks, who has an interest in Elixir and Phoenix, and who is excited to learn and contribute as part of a small, fast-moving, remote-first team.
My name: Mike Matz
My position: CTO
Company name: CareCar
Company info and history (how you’re using Elixir etc): CareCar is a technology and health services company currently focused on transforming the non-emergency transportation industry and quickly working to tackle various social determinants of health. We partner with healthcare organizations across the US to improve health outcomes and reduce risk by using our platform to manage supplemental benefits for Medicare, Medicaid, and commercial populations.
Our care services platform is built on the foundation of a React frontend and Elixir backend integrated via a REST API, powered by PostgreSQL and running on AWS.
The types of problems we are solving revolve around improving the experience of the care providers who rely on our platform and the healthcare patients they interact with, as we work to fulfill our mission of helping people achieve better health outcomes and a better quality of life.
About the job
Job title: Web Backend Engineer
Job description: CareCar is looking for a Web Backend Engineer to help build and scale the software powering our care services platform. This position is ideal for someone with some prior experience building web backend systems and API’s on various tech stacks, who has an interest in Elixir and Phoenix, and who is excited to learn and contribute as part of a small, fast-moving, remote-first team.
To succeed in this role, you should be a self-motivated “Get Things Done” kind of person and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. Additionally, you should be comfortable being a key player in a small team where we often wear multiple hats.
Salary range: $70k-$140k
Position on remote work: Remote-first (US only)
Qualifications or experience required: Experience building and supporting backend web applications in a production environment is required. The role will be focused on Elixir and Phoenix, but we do not require prior experience in this stack for a candidate who has transferrable skills.
What the successful job applicant will be working on: The software you design and build will be used to address a large variety of use cases, such as:
- Empowering patients with varied skills and disabilities to manage their care services schedules
- Providing real-time updates to our call center staff so that they can better serve our patient population
- Increase the effectiveness and efficiency of our team of care providers through the use of automation, algorithms, statistical models, and machine learning
- Integrating with external data systems so that our customers and our team can make more informed decisions that lead to better patient outcomes
- Improve the quality of the services we provide to patients by creating voice and text communications systems to connect patients with caregivers
About the interview process
- Send us your resume and tell us a bit about yourself: your experience with Elixir, any open-source projects you want to share
- First interview - meet with your future manager - get to know each other, answer any questions you have about the role and the team, review your past experience
- Second interview - technical discussion with two of your future teammates. No coding required, but we would like to talk through problems you’ve solved as well as hypothetical software design and architecture questions. This is also a great opportunity to discuss the role with your peers.
- Final interview - meet with a non-technical team member to get a better understanding of your working style