_russellb
I want to try my hand at web scraping. What tools/libraries do I need to use. I’m hoping to turn this into something professional so don’t hold back. Thanks.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
idi527
I think the choice depends on whether you need to evaluate js or not.
If you do, then in elixir there is hound [0] for this. I haven’t used it though since I usually use selenium with python. Actually, I usually try to avoid evaluating js completely by figuring out what apis it calls and calling them myself.
If you don’t, then just an html parser like floki [1] will do. You might be interested in reading the source code for magnetissimo [2] to see how a scraper works with it.
[0] GitHub - HashNuke/hound: Elixir library for writing integration tests and browser automation · GitHub
[1] GitHub - philss/floki: Floki is a simple HTML parser that enables search for nodes using CSS selectors. · GitHub
[2] GitHub - sergiotapia/magnetissimo: Web application that indexes all popular torrent sites, and saves it to the local database. · GitHub
kokolegorille
You can try to combine httpoison, floki and poolboy.
There is a nice article here https://www.akitaonrails.com/2015/11/18/ex-manga-downloadr-um-exercicio-com-elixir/.
agustif
There’s also GitHub - mischov/meeseeks: An Elixir library for parsing and extracting data from HTML and XML with CSS or XPath selectors. · GitHub if you don’t want to use Floki for whatever reason
Eiji
@_russellb: My list:
JSONfor example when you have json in element attribute valueCSVfiles on some pages for example export search results to CSVHTTPoison- useful in TDD (Test Driver Development)HTTPoisonandFlokifor pages usingJavaScriptframeworks/librariesThere is also Meeseeks (really good replacement for
Floki), but for me it requiresRustthat in my case I need to compile (Funtoo Linux) that takes lots of time on my old laptop.LawJolla
I’ve done a lot of scraping work on the Node side. PhantomJS and Node’s NightmareJS are potent tools.
This thread introduced me to Hound. It can pair with PhantomJS and looks well done. I’d start there. You’re going to run into JS rendered HTML and it’s rarely beneficial to deconstruct their API.
mischov
This is a good list.
It is worth noting that while Floki defaults to using
:mochiweb_html(an Erlang library) to parse HTML, it gives you the option to use the Rust libraryhtml5everinstead and I strongly suggest using that unless you have a compelling reason not to.:mochiweb_htmlis not HTML5 spec compliant and malformed HTML that renders correctly in your browser might not be parsed correctly by:mochiweb_html.The Rust compilation time is annoying, but I think compilation should only occur when you update your Meeseeks or (for Floki) html5ever_elixir dependency or need to fetch dependencies for the first time, so it shouldn’t be a problem most of the time.
I have a small benchmark comparing Meeseeks and Floki performance if such things might matter.
Eiji
@mischov: 100% agree, but I’m using this not for
HTML5pages, but for old and really bad writtenASP.NETpages …mischov
@Eiji If it works for your case, good.
I just want people to be aware that, while
:mochiweb_htmlisn’t bad and will work well in many cases including some malformed ones, it won’t always behave like a browser when parsing HTML.For instance, note the differences when parsing this very malformed HTML.
That’s a pretty extreme example, but it shows the kind of differences that are possible.
Neurofunk
I just saw GitHub - nietaki/crawlie: A simple Elixir library for writing decently-performing crawlers with minimum effort. · GitHub on github. It seems quite neat, maybe check it out? =)
marcuslankenau
You might want to check excrawl (GitHub - mlankenau/excrawl: Elixir web crawler · GitHub). It is a slim DSL above floki. It produces a hash/array struct out of html defined by a dsl.