micahrye
I need to use a standard websocket client on a network that uses a proxy host for all outbound traffic. I was wondering if people have recommendations for a websocket client library that can be configured for using a proxy host?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
That is not really a websocket thing, but rather the underlying TCP connection kind of thing.
As for the websocket client, if it is in the browser then the proxy is handled by the browser, no way to control that from javascript, this generally defaults to the OS stock proxy.
If it is standalone program then it should also default to the OS stock proxy, which it probably is set if it is a proxy for ‘all’ outbound traffic. Otherwise setting it manually depends on the client language that the program is written in.
micahrye
OvermindDL1, appreciate the reply. I think part of my question is related to “what I don’t know :)” about the intricacies of tcp.
Hampered by my own lack of knowledge and misunderstandings, let me further explain. I have an application that is going to run on a clients network.
In developing a solution I spun up a proxy server using Squid on a linux box. Using nodejs websockts (faye-websocket) I can easily set proxy options and verify communications are routed through the local proxy server.
I would like to use elixir for this project, but I also need to make sure that I can support websockets via ssl and via a proxy. My current exploration of websocket libraries it has not been clear how to configure them for use with proxy. It maybe that I simply configure gen_tcp, but that has not been obvious either.
Pointers or clarifications welcome.
OvermindDL1
Is the proxy on the server side or the client side? If the server side then you don’t need to do anything as long as the proxy is half-decent. If the client side then you just need to setup the client to use the proxy (if not already built into the network stack of the OS you are running on).
Squid works fine, I barely even touched its config when I ran it. There should not need to be anything you do on the server side, not even ruby or node or so. If on the client side, well that depends on what language the client is in, what os, etc…