dblack

dblack

I’ve got an issue with an app and I’ve no idea of how to troubleshoot it. I’m hoping someone here might have seen something similar.

I pushed out an update to a test app, and now when i browse to it, it’s stuck in a cycle trying to connect to the web socket. The static content is displayed, the browser tries to connect to the web socket, it times out and repeats the cycle.

I have seen this in the development environment too very intermittently (like twice). I thought it might be something to do with the code reloader, because as soon as I switched that off in dev, the problem went away.

Any ideas about where to start looking?

Also, it seems confined to a browser session. ie, I can browse to the same app in a different browser and it works fine… So with that in mind, I cleared cookies on the failing instance, crossed my fingers… but still no good.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

dblack

dblack OP

I have more info, but I’m not sure how significant it is! The connection came good, for no apparent reason. I’m trying to work out why. When comparing two adjacent websocket calls in dev tools (the last failing call, and the first successful one), the only obvious difference is regarding the time of the message. The failing call (says it was stalled for 5.3 days? Actually, hovering over the the time on the failing call, it says 06/01/1970 16:24…):

And the next call, that was successful:

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

Are you using brave by any chance?

dblack

dblack OP

Wow, how did you know?! It was in the back of my mind that Brave might be the culprit… I wasn’t seeing the same thing with Chrome

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

This is the third report I have seen with Brave hanging in the 101 websocket upgrade. Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be anything on our side and by all things I’ve seen the bits never make it to the server. One person had it happen only when the adguard extension was enabled, but disabling didn’t fix it until they restarted Brave. Both previous reports I’ve seen restarting Brave fixed it, but this looks like some obscure issues squarely on Brave’s side. I have wondered if we are attempting to connect too aggressively for brave, but it is a total guess. If you are able to reliably recreate, you could try instantiating the liveSocket and liveSocket.connect inside a window.addEventListender("DOMContentLoaded", ...)

outlog

outlog

from a very quick look it seems like Brave proxies websocket when the shield is “up”.. through this code: brave-core/browser/net/brave_proxying_web_socket.cc at master · brave/brave-core · GitHub (and probably else where for the 101 upgrade - NOT a C expert)

there was a recent commit to that file fixing a bug 15715: Properly shutdown our websocket proxy. · brave/brave-core@79783d3 · GitHub, slated for next major brave version (1.26) but totally unknown if it fixes anything related to this issue..

but does sound plausible that some issue exist with brave, especially when using the shield ws proxy.. maybe it can be sporadically reproduced running 100-1k tests with wallaby/chromedriver?

dblack

dblack OP

Thank you both, that’s great news (for me!), I thought I was entering a world of pain trying to work out why my app was misbehaving.

I’ll continue to use brave and try a couple of things when it next happens. It appears to only happen when something updates on the server - once in production after I pushed a new release, and a couple of times in dev when the code reloader kicked in. It seems to right itself after about an hour for no reason (yesterday I gave up trying stuff, then came back after 20 mins, and it was all good).

I’ll fire up wireshark next time and see if i can see anything on the wire.

cmo

cmo

I use Brave get that when I have forgotten to close a div or something. I thought it happened on Edge too though…

sanswork

sanswork

I have a control panel which has two domains point at it and I see these a lot in Chrome when I have tabs open with both domains. If all my tabs are 1 domain or the other it’s fine but as soon as there is a mix all liveview pages start to fail.

jakemauer

jakemauer

Just wanted to check in and say I’m still encountering the same endless reloading “websocket connection is closed before connection is established” issue.

I’m using Brave 1.28.105 on MacOS 11.5.1 and looking at the source code for this version of Brave on Github, the previously linked PR’s websocket fix code is present in this version of the browser but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

I still get the Websocket error with or without Brave’s “shields” up or not.

dblack

dblack OP

Hi @jakemauer, that’s interesting, I’ve not had it happen to me since I posted. For me it’s been really intermittent. Is it happening for you all the time?

I’m on the same version of Brave, but on linux

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews