kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Hello everyone,

I am having a hard time trying to reverse proxy with apache2 to my production release.

The release is running on port 4010 on a dedicated Linux box. Application works fine when using this port, websocket are also working fine.

But when I use apache2 to reverse proxy, the site appears correctly, the api calls are working too, only websocket are denied with code 403.

So I activated mod_proxy_wstunnel with

a2enmod proxy_wstunnel

and used this virtual host config

<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerAdmin koko.le.gorille@gmail.com
	ServerName www.whatever.com
        ProxyPreserveHost On
        ProxyPass / http://0.0.0.0:4010/
        ProxyPass /socket ws://0.0.0.0:4010/
        ProxyPassReverse / http://0.0.0.0:4010/
        ProxyPassReverse /socket ws://0.0.0.0:4010/
</VirtualHost>

In particular these lines

ProxyPass /socket ws://0.0.0.0:4010/
ProxyPassReverse /socket ws://0.0.0.0:4010/

But socket connection is still denied. I am using apache2 over nginx mainly for historical reason. Any ideas?

Thanks for taking time

Showing Posts 1 to 5

kokolegorille

kokolegorille OP

I solved this by using nginx instead. Thanks for sample apache config.

m1dnight

m1dnight

Just a little side note: it does not work for the live reload socket, because that one does not use the /socket/ path, and thus falls through over HTTP. I have not found a fix for that, yet.

m1dnight

m1dnight

I accidentally removed my solution. So here it is, again:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName example.com
    ErrorDocument 404 /404.html
    ServerAdmin admin@example.com

    ProxyPass        /socket/ ws://myapp.com:8000/socket/
    ProxyPassReverse /socket/ ws://myapp.com:8000/socket/

    ProxyPass        / http://myapp.com:8000/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://myapp.com:8000/

</VirtualHost>

The example assumes your Apache reverse proxy is running on example.com, and your application is running on myapp.com with port 8000 published.

Just a little side note: it does not work for the live reload socket, because that one does not use the /socket/ path, and thus falls through over HTTP. I have not found a fix for that, yet.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille OP

One of the main point is to use the domain name, IIRC. And also correct socket path :slight_smile:

trigeek38

trigeek38

This final configuration worked for me including live and live reload

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName myserver.com

   RewriteEngine on
   RewriteCond %{HTTP:Upgrade} websocket [NC]
   RewriteCond %{HTTP:Connection} upgrade [NC]
   RewriteRule ^/?(.*) "ws://localhost:4000/$1" [P,L]

   ProxyPass        /socket/ ws://localhost:4000/socket/
   ProxyPassReverse /socket/ ws://localhost:4000/socket/

   ProxyPass        /live/ ws://localhost:4000/socket/
   ProxyPassReverse /live/ ws://localhost:4000/socket/

   ProxyPass        / http://localhost:4000/
   ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:4000/

</VirtualHost>
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews